Custom chars in Keyestudio ks0061 1602 display?

I have this display, and have been playing with their sample sketch:

//Compatible with the Arduino IDE 1.0
//Library version:1.1
#include <Wire.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27,16,2); // set the LCD address to 0x27 for a 16 chars and 2 line display
void setup()
{
lcd.init(); // initialize the lcd
lcd.init();
// Print a message to the LCD.
lcd.backlight();
lcd.setCursor(3,0);
lcd.print("Hello, world!");
lcd.setCursor(2,1);
lcd.print("keyestudio!");
}
void loop()
{
}

It works like a charm, but how do I get to write custom characters (I am Arduino Newbie)?

I tried getting exerpts from the sample code in Arduino IDE for Liquid Crystal display, but got errors and not sure where they come from/how to resolve…

Errors like this:
/home/jane/sketchbook/libraries/LiquidCrystal_I2C/LiquidCrystal_I2C.cpp: In member function ‘void LiquidCrystal_I2C::expanderWrite(uint8_t)’:
/home/jane/sketchbook/libraries/LiquidCrystal_I2C/LiquidCrystal_I2C.cpp:16:29: error: ‘class TwoWire’ has no member named ‘write’
#define printIIC(args) Wire.write(args)
^
/home/jane/sketchbook/libraries/LiquidCrystal_I2C/LiquidCrystal_I2C.cpp:261:2: note: in expansion of macro ‘printIIC’
printIIC((int)(_data) | _backlightval);

Maybe because there is differences on the Keyestudio version of the library, but how to do then?

now even the sample sketch fails - I figure that is to do with a library conflict - I will try to resolve, but still like response to original question :slight_smile:

I would recommend using a library that has a more complete API that includes support for custom character generation.
I would recommend using my hd44780 library package which includes support for custom characters in both RAM and PROGMEM.
It includes a hd44780_I2Cexp i/o class to support I2C based backpacks with expander chips like the PCF8574.
It will auto detect the i2c address and pin mappings between the backpack and the LCD.
It includes an example sketch showing how to use custom characters.
It can be installed using the IDE library manager.
You can read more about on the github page: GitHub - duinoWitchery/hd44780: Extensible hd44780 LCD library
and in the included documentation once the library is installed.
The included documentation also includes links to a few web sites that have tools to generate custom characters that can be used by the hd44780 library.

After you install the library, run the included diagnostic, I2CexpDiag, to verify that the backpack and library are properly working.

--- bill