Customizable "Simon" game with a twist

I’m okay with learning a new programming language as long as the project is fairly simple. I’m willing to learn how to build simple circuits, too.

A buddy of mine wants to build a “Simon” game with actual light-up buttons that:

1. Plays four (4) increasingly faster rounds
  2. If the user gets all four correct, an event is triggered
  • the event would either be a code displayed on a computer screen or something comparable (a switch activating to open a box to display a code, etc.)

Is arduino the way to go or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks.

Arduino sounds perfect for the job. Google Arduino Simon game. You're not the first with this idea. Plenty of examples to follow

Thanks!

I can't find any examples, though, that include step #2 from my original post. Are there examples out there for an "escape room" type Simon that will give a clue once the puzzle (or X number of puzzles of increasing difficulty) is solved?

Thing is that if you come up with new ideas you can't expect to "find" code, you have to write it. Basically we are here to help you learn enough so you can do that and help you when you are stuck.

TheDougmeister:
Thanks!

I can't find any examples, though, that include step #2 from my original post. Are there examples out there for an "escape room" type Simon that will give a clue once the puzzle (or X number of puzzles of increasing difficulty) is solved?

Well you gotta get the basic simon game working first and understand how that code works before you can even think about adding that step.

I'm pretty confident that I can follow instructions enough to build one of the many projects that I see... the problem is:

1. selecting the best one, and
  2. determining how much the "video display output" (or solenoid to open a door) will add to the total cost

TheDougmeister:
I'm pretty confident that I can follow instructions enough to build one of the many projects that I see... the problem is:

1. selecting the best one, and
  2. determining how much the "video display output" (or solenoid to open a door) will add to the total cost
  1. You don't. You understand how a few of them actually work and you can create your own. The key thing is learning how the code works.

2. You're going to have to define what you want before you can even think about the cost.