Cyber Monday Sales

does anyone know of any sweet Cyber Monday sales?

i am looking to get a few more Arduinos for some upcoming projects:-)
including: Several Pro Mini’s, a LilyPad, Duemilanove (if i can still find it) and maybe even the Arduino Uno

Cyber Monday sales :stuck_out_tongue:

am looking to get a few more Arduinos for some upcoming projects:-)
including: Several Pro Mini’s, a LilyPad, Duemilanove (if i can still find it) and maybe even the Arduino Uno

you might get a discount for busying several arduino’s
and if $$$ is taken into consideration try amking your own :wink:

One of the beauties of the Arduino is that the design is very simple- all that’s really needed is a couple of capacitors, a resonator or crystal, and the ATMEGA328 itself. Here in the USA, there’s an outfit in Texas that sells “AnArduino”, which is a bare-bones implementation, for about ten bucks off ebay with all the needed parts and a little PCB even… basically a Boarduino without the voltage regulator. The point is, you can buy 328’s with the bootloader already flashed and build an “arduino” into it permanently for around ten bucks, if you want a project as a dedicated item.

That being said… yeah… where’s the insane sales? I need a $5 oscilloscope… I’m so broke I can’t even pay attention… hehehe

i have bought some kits to make your own and after making one of them i decided for the extra $10 it was worth it to just buy them pre-made, at least till i make a pick and place machine and a re-flow oven (they are on my list but still a ways down)

where’s the insane sales? I need a $5 oscilloscope… I’m so broke I can’t even pay attention… hehehe

i would even be happy with 10% off lol

i have an old oscilloscope u could have for $5 but it is pretty heavy and shipping may not be cheap

Hmm. I finally recently purchased two “real” Arduinos (Duemilanoves)… one for my son who has become interested in it, and one for my own fiddling… but up until now, I’ve used an Adafruit Boarduino… like the Anarduino, it’s not got the USB/UART on the board, you use an external one (which saves on cost) and also takes doing surface mount stuff out of the picture, as it’s all through-hole components… no reflow or pick-n-place needed… I’m particularly fond of the Boarduino because it’s built as a DIP, with machine pins set up to directly plug into a breadboard. I’m toying with the idea of coming up with a usable “socket”, so that it’s stamp-like in that you can yank the “stamp” easily and leave the rest of a project intact and waiting for the return of the “stamp”… though I suppose that’s the basic idea of a shield, huh?

Joking on the scope, really… I’m going to make a few calls to local junk dealers, I ought to be able to find a usable relic for cheap money… I don’t care if a knob is missing, etc… One nice aspect of where I live is that I’m literally halfway between MIT and Worcester Polytech… junk dealers around here often have equipment that students have sold for beer money… not to mention the DEC (Compaq, HP, whoever owns them this week) sites and the Intel chip fab all within a half hour’s drive. This area is second only to Silicon Valley in terms of what ends up in dumpsters and reclaim shops… at one point, I had the better (the more expensive portions) part of a uVax in a closet, as well as half a dozen DEC AlphaStations. The uVax is long gone now, the AlphaStations I donated to a Linux cluster project doing genome sequencing as I remember. Those Alphas from a decade and a half back still can give a quadcore a run for it’s money when running native (not Win64/Intel emulation/FX!32) raw number-crunching. Intel paid four and a half billion to bury that CPU, and the StrongARM… the killing stroke for DEC. Anyway, the thing was, all of it was dumpster fodder at the time.

Wistfully remembering those Halcyon DECcie days… Ken, why has thou forsaken us? LOL…

junk dealers around here often have equipment that students have sold for beer money…

:o :o :o :o :o
LUCKY YOU :slight_smile:

Yeah… one of the many reasons I moved to Boston from the Midwest (Central USA, which is primarily farm and timber country) is that when you dumpster dive where I came from, you didn’t get DEC, Raytheon, and WANG castoffs like you do here, pretty much the highest tech you’re going to run into is a particularly nice John Deere Manure Spreader or a spare chain saw blade. Now, I like a decent chain saw as much as the next guy, but I’m going to be a lot more interested in a box labeled “MIT Excess Stock, Static Sensistive Equipment” than I am about one labelled “Spair Chanesaw Stuf” scrawled with some type of crayon or biological farm waste…

There were a few other reasons of course, but I believe the quality of an area’s trash is something that ought to be considered important by more people.

Hmm, this really is a sickness, isn’t it? ;D

There were a few other reasons of course, but I believe the quality of an area’s trash is something that ought to be considered important by more people.

Hmm, this really is a sickness, isn’t it?

Yes, indeed it is…

That’s why I like Phoenix, as well - plenty of tech stuff here if you know where to look; if you want to purchase some of it, Apache Reclamation and the lesser known Equipment Exchange are the two best places to go in the valley. Apache Reclamation tends to be more friendly for the regular hobbyist, as Equipment Exchange tends to deal in large pieces of tech equipment (you can easily get everything from wafer inspection stations, to electron microscopes, to SCARA pick-n-place arms - I once saw a full-sized Unimate there once, too!).

The other nice thing about Apache is that the owners have another place called “Surplus City” in Albuquerque, New Mexico - and we all know what’s nearby; so some of that stuff undoubtedly gets shipped over here. I often wonder if the Altair I found at Apache didn’t start out there in Albuquerque, since MITS was located there back in the day…

/just another junkmeister…

:wink:

I realized how I have missed my dumpsters when I was a grad student in a larger city. Started my CPU collection right there! Once I was driving by a McD, I found a computer in the rain. Took it home and fired it up. It worked! Now I’m in a small town even birds don’t sh*t when flying over. ;D ;D ;D
I know my way to a couple places that’s it nothing interesting. For surplus electronics I need to drive almost 2 hours. This is insane. No wonder they have 3 kids as a norm, there’s nothing else to do.

Oh, I’m soliciting junks (old cpus) on another thread.