Daisy chain arduino HID?

Hey guys, I am looking to make some custom controllers for a PC. I would like them to be modules, so one is a button, other is a joystick, another could be a gas pedal, just anything really. I would like them to be modules, and instead of having to plug each one into the computer at a different USB port, is there a way to daisy chain arduino HID?
Would it all be software? Hardware?

You could have one with the HID capability, and have it talk to the rest via serial means, such as I2C, SPI, RS232, RS485, depends on how far they will be from each other.

CrossRoads:
You could have one with the HID capability, and have it talk to the rest via serial means, such as I2C, SPI, RS232, RS485, depends on how far they will be from each other.

They will be close. The idea is you can configure it how you want, joystick on the left , analog on the right, whatever. Some people might just have a joystick and others have just a pedal, but they would all need to be able to plug in individually as an HID, and/or plug into each other to expand.
I think your idea is a good one.
I2C needs each to have a specific address doesnt it?

Your project, you can assign the I2C address to the microcontroller you code up at each station.
Even make say a 3 or 4 pin jumper field, let the uC read it to find it's address to respond to, in case you have anhy duplicate modules.

Boards with 32U4 chip have native USB controller in the chip, so each could be set up for HID if you wanted. I don't know how a PC would handle all those, I've only plugged in USB slaves to my PC. (keyboard, mouse, Arduino, Arduino programmer, phone, etc.).

CrossRoads:
Your project, you can assign the I2C address to the microcontroller you code up at each station.
Even make say a 3 or 4 pin jumper field, let the uC read it to find it's address to respond to, in case you have anhy duplicate modules.

Boards with 32U4 chip have native USB controller in the chip, so each could be set up for HID if you wanted. I don't know how a PC would handle all those, I've only plugged in USB slaves to my PC. (keyboard, mouse, Arduino, Arduino programmer, phone, etc.).

Thanks for your help :slight_smile: I have more ideas now!

Can something like an ATTiny85 emulate multiple HID devices at once? IE can a single Arduino be both a keyboard and joystick at once?