Damaged Arduino part - can it be replaced?

Hello,
I have connected my Arduino to a PC and my PCB (connected to a Li-Pol battery), which has worked without problems in the past. I do not know, what went wrong, but it started to behave strangely, so I unplugged it from the PC. This has done no problems before as well. When unplugging, I noticed, that the cable was very warm and right then a flash appeared on the Arduino, so I immediately unplugged the battery as well. When I looked at the Arduino, I observed a burnt part near the USB connection port. I am a bit afraid to plug the Arduino into any power before knowing, that it wont die completely or damage something...
Could someone please identify the part (I only found out, that it is some kind of a coil or an inductor, but I do not know its purpose) and tell me, if it is vital to the functioning of the board and whether it can be somehow easily replaced (and how...) or not?

Thank you all in advance for any responses. I don't want to buy a completely new board because of only one burnt part, so I hope that it can be fixed...

Matouš

Photo

I'm thinking you took out L1.

arduino-uno-schematic.pdf (32.7 KB)

Yes, as I wrote above, that is what I found out as well... But that was not actually my question. I will restate: Can this part be somehow replaced? And is this part vital for proper functioning of the Arduino? Also, if you have any idea, how this could have happened, I would be glad to hear it!
Anyway thanks for the answer, the picture may prove useful to me in the future!

Yes, it can be replaced, pretty easily.
Schematic shows it as BLM21, so something like this.

It appears the part is needed for proper shielding of the USB cable.

I don't know the circumstances that led to its failure, it would seem that you somehow had high current flowing thru the part.

the flash was probably the component burning up...

but hell yeah, that's some current to do that kind of damage...

CrossRoads:
Yes, it can be replaced, pretty easily.
Schematic shows it as BLM21, so something like this.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BLM21AG471SN1D/490-1039-1-ND/584487

It appears the part is needed for proper shielding of the USB cable.

I don't know the circumstances that led to its failure, it would seem that you somehow had high current flowing thru the part.

Yes, and that would first need to be investigated and solved before just replacing the part.

Lefty