Darkest day

Today is the winter solstice, it is the darkest day of the year. In a few days you should notice the days becoming a bit lighter. Isn't it a shame that their can't be some sort of celebration, with feasting, drinking and gift giving to commemorate the coming of lighter days.

Why has no one ever thought of that?

Actually it is the longest day of the year and will now start getting darker.

It's all a matter of perspective and mine is from Australia.

But what the heck! We will drink and be merry anyway.

Weedpharma

weedpharma: Actually it is the longest day of the year and will now start getting darker. Weedpharma

Hay then start your own traditions then. ;)

Grumpy_Mike: Hay then start your own traditions then. ;)

Drinking and merry making has been a tradition for so long that we all call it our own no matter where we are.

And if it's a good one who cares?

Grumpy_Mike: Today is the winter solstice, it is the darkest day of the year. In a few days you should notice the days becoming a bit lighter. Isn't it a shame that their can't be some sort of celebration, with feasting, drinking and gift giving to commemorate the coming of lighter days.

The pagan solstice festivities were stolen by Christians to celebrate the spring birth[1] of their supposed child deity.

[1] When else do 'shepherds watch their flocks by night' other than the spring lambing season?

Fall. When the coyotes are hungrier than usual.

I was not aware that Palestine had a coyote problem :wink:

[1] When else do ‘shepherds watch their flocks by night’ other than the spring lambing season?

Well I used to think that but a radio program the other day on the production of sheep cheese said that the continuous supply of milk is obtained by always having some sheep in lamb throughout the year.

I was not aware that Palestine had a coyote problem

http://local.garden.org/Coyotes_Palestine_TX-r1216651-Palestine_TX.html :D

(They also don't dine on sheep making them an especially bad example.)

Just pointing out that not all predators are so considerate as to wait for a few months of the year.

Grumpy_Mike wrote at this time

Darkest day Today at 00:01:10

You stayed up allll night to post this right Mike? ;D Then it took you 1 minute and 10 seconds to write. Well done, I'll drink to that. I need some excuse on this warm balmy eve :D

Merry winter solstice, or in our case down here summer solstice.

Paul

Hi, we even have a stonehenge, called uluru as well as a newer one in Canberra, only built just over 20years ago, one of our darkest days, hi hi..

Tom.... :)

Grumpy_Mike:
Today is the winter solstice, it is the darkest day of the year. In a few days you should notice the days becoming a bit lighter. Isn’t it a shame that their can’t be some sort of celebration, with feasting, drinking and gift giving to commemorate the coming of lighter days.

Now maybe you will listen when people ask you to come out of your cave?

GoForSMoke wrote:

Now maybe you will listen when people ask you to come out of your cave?

My cave has great acoustics and I can hear quite well from inside. :)

Paul

Is "longest night" really equivalent to "darkest day"?

westfw: Is "longest night" really equivalent to "darkest day"?

Yes because the sun is the lowest it can be in the sky, therefore the amount of solar radiation, or light, is at it's minimum on the winter solstice. So if a day receives the minimum light possible then the day is the darkest it can be.

The darkest day is when the M-I-L arrives to stay over Christmas and New Year.

AWOL:
The darkest day is when the M-I-L arrives to stay over Christmas and New Year.

So how dark would the day be then when she says she is not going home. :smiling_imp:

westfw wrote:

Is "longest night" really equivalent to "darkest day"?

Of course not. Define darkest day, and if you mean actual darkest day, then that has nothing to do with shortest day, not unless the shortest day happens to also be a dark day, with dark foreboding clouds and much donder und blitzen.

We just had the longest day the other day, but does that mean we had the brightest day of the year? Of course not.

Perhaps the lack of sun up there in the northern hemisphere is effecting cognitive functions of many :P

AWOL, it took all but 2 seconds to work out M-I-L. Luckily, I don't have that problem anymore, or the W-i-f-e :D

Paul

The longest day ?

That's been over 70 years ago.

To get this discussion into Arduino context again:

How could an Arduino measure the darkest day?

reading a sensor and integrate over time seems the simple part, But what would be a optimal set up of the sensor? I suppose no direct sunlight? What sensor would be right? How to compare darkest days from different locations? Altitudes?

Absolute darkest day versus relative darkest day (as % compared to brightest of year)? ...

met een 'donkere materie' sensor denk ik :-[