I've a project I've been asked for, and I would like to check its feasibility with you. Thanks already for your advices !
I'm working as a voluntary for the red cross (Home – Red Cross EU Office). The red cross is present in lots of events in my town (concerts, sport events like marathon, cultural events, etc.) and provide medical support/assistance during these events.
As an example, let say that I run the Brussels marathon, I feel bad and fall on the ground. The red ross people will come to pick me, register me in their system, and give me the needed medical assistance.
During these events, the red cross people are spread amongst different locations, and need to communicate with the central server to be aware at any time of that kind of information :
- how many did we help
- at what time that particular person received medical assistance
- Is that particular person still under red cross watch
This data is stored locally on a computer (in each local entity), and synchronized on a central server. The data is sent through wifi or 3G.
The problem is that :
- wifi connexion is not always available
- If too many people attend the event, the 3G is not working well.
In order to solve these issues, the project I'd like to make is to exchange the needed data through radio frequency, using two arduino boards and the needed RF shelters.
The requirements are the following :
Transmission needs to be two ways :
- Transmission of data from the local entity computer to the main server
- Transmission of the data from the main server to the local entity computer
The data that needs to be sent is the content of a text file. Each line of that text is a set of characters, separated by semi columns, and give information on one person. Here is a sample below
1,P03,001,Last name,first nameF,14H20,14H30,U3,000,115,,doctor initial,901,01/07/07 14:58,,
The transmission range should ideally cover some 1 or 2 miles/kms.
My questions are :
- Is this project realistic
- Will I be able to easily process txt files (preparing it for sending, sending of the date, handling on the server when received). What about the noise, the speed, the range ?
- What material do I need ?
I'm a newbie with Arduino and Microcontrollers, so any help/advice/information would be appreciated.
Thanks already for your help !