Data of Dust Sensor with Arduino UNO is Strange after mounting Ethernet Shield

Hi all,

I want to collect datas from dust sensor then send those datas to Web via Ethernet.

Here is my experiment environment

• Arduino UNO R3
  • Arduino Ethernet Shield 2
  • Sharp Dust Sensor GP2Y1010AU0F
  • 220 uF Capacitor, 150 Ω Resistor, breadboard, some jumper cables

Followed by below links,
http://arduinodev.woofex.net/2012/12/01/standalone-sharp-dust-sensor/

The dust sensor worked on the Arduino. The Arduino can fetch datas (raw signal values) like the above link posted, which ranges from 200~350 in an office room. I can simply insert a pen in the hole of dust sensor to make the dust density more condense. Datas change from 350.00 to 764.00 while inserting a pen.

But if I mounted the Arduino with an Ethernet shield. The Arduino got so many zero datas returned from the sensor and some other values were kind of weird (the raw signal value randomly got 18, 47, 35..).

Any help will be appreciated.

Schematic?

Are any of the pins crossing (i.e. does the shield use a pin the sensor is connected to)?

Glad I was actually helpful :slight_smile:

Hi,
I'm utilizing a Sharp dust sensor GP2Y1010AU0F along with an Arduino Uno in a project. Is there any official example or test code that I can upload or reference to test my sensor? Any help would be appreciated!

KayEv290:
Hi,
I'm utilizing a Sharp dust sensor GP2Y1010AU0F along with an Arduino Uno in a project. Is there any official example or test code that I can upload or reference to test my sensor? Any help would be appreciated!

None that I know of. Have you asked Google yet?

Most probably power supply noise - ethernet shield takes a lot of power and unless the 5V rail
is good and stiff this might allow ethernet board to inject noise via the sensor's power rail. Add more
decoupling on the sensor power rail (not the LED power, that's not the issue I think).

Measure your 5V rail and check its not drooping at all. Best to avoid powering via USB for
this kind of use, USB power is shockingly bad for analog use. 7V or so into Vin/power jack
allows the on-board linear regulator to generate a clean 5V

You have paid attention to star-grounding I hope.