Datalog data from RS232

As a project from school i need to do the following:
I have to read the signal on a RS232 cable, and then i should be able to log all that data. It has to be a small setup, as it will be used in a tractor. this data comes from a weighing cell and there is enough time between different weighing moments. If possible, the datalogger should be easy to implement in excel.

How should i do this the best and are there some programming files available for this kind of problem, as i am a novice in programming.

Thanks.

I have to read the signal on a RS232 cable

You'll need to use a MAX232 chip to convert the RS232 levels to TTL levels for the Arduino to read.

You'll need to know (more than a little) about the format of the data coming from the device.

If possible, the datalogger should be easy to implement in excel.

Getting EXCEL to run on the Arduino is going to be quite a challenge. Good luck.

as i am a novice in programming.

Then why are you doing this project? It is NOT a beginner project. Oh, wait, I remember:

As a project from school i need to

What is the field of study?

PaulS:

I have to read the signal on a RS232 cable

You'll need to use a MAX232 chip to convert the RS232 levels to TTL levels for the Arduino to read.

You'll need to know (more than a little) about the format of the data coming from the device.

If possible, the datalogger should be easy to implement in excel.

Getting EXCEL to run on the Arduino is going to be quite a challenge. Good luck.

as i am a novice in programming.

Then why are you doing this project? It is NOT a beginner project. Oh, wait, I remember:

As a project from school i need to

What is the field of study?

I read about the MAX232 chip. What i meant with 'easy to implement' is that if the data gets logged on a sd card or something that i can place all the data from the sd card easily to a excel file.

TBH i have not even a clue what the data format looks like.. all i know is that is from a weigh cell in the tractor. maybe if i can identify the weigh cell i can get a clue of the data format.. (i'll check it now)

I am studying automatisation, but we didnt get any decent programming at school so..

i was thinking about a max232 convertor, then go the arduino and logg it with a datalogging shield. but i dont have a clue about programming it, or is there another way to do this? i cant use a pc in the tractor, so has to be a small setup