Date or Icons - Weather Station Color

I'm building a project which uses the the code from the Adafruit website Software | ESP8266 WiFi Weather Station with Color TFT Display | Adafruit Learning System .

I live in Canada and and can't see to get the date to show on the screen nor the icons or temperature. I have changed the appropriate areas in the settings:

// Wunderground Settings
const boolean IS_METRIC = true;
const String WUNDERGRROUND_API_KEY = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
const String WUNDERGRROUND_LANGUAGE = "EN";
const String WUNDERGROUND_COUNTRY = "CA";
const String WUNDERGROUND_CITY = "BC/Cranbrook";

I tried using a US city and the time and the temperature showed up on the display, but the icons did not.

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post or not.

Does that city exist on the Wunderground website?

What is the actual text returned by the website?

Does getWeatherText() or getCurrentTemp() return anything meaningful?

MorganS:
Does that city exist on the Wunderground website?

https://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/Cranbrook

What is the actual text returned by the website?

Does getWeatherText() or getCurrentTemp() return anything meaningful?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not sure how to get you that info. I was going to upload a couple of images of the screen, but I guess I need a few more posts to be allowed that privilege.

New users are restricted to once every 5 minutes. There's no restriction on uploading. You get out of that zone pretty quickly though.

I looked at the library, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of error reporting. I would have liked to be able to see the raw response from the website to check that it actually returned something and that it was something which the library could understand. It could have returned an error message but the library gives you no way of seeing that message.

Doing some other searches, I find out that in the code the word Canada has to be used instead of the 'CA' abbreviation. I haven't tried it yet, but will tonight.

The icons are pulled from another website, not Wunderground.

http://www.squix.org/blog/wunderground/

Edit: This did not work. Back to square one.

Unfortunately, still no icons getting pulled from the server.

Anyone have any ideas?

WebResource::downloadFile has a bunch of serial.prints in it to tell you what it's doing. Have you tried watching on the serial monitor?

I have, and the output is attached in the text file.

Does not pull any of the moon phases and I’m not sure if this messes up all of the icons or not.

serial_monitor.txt (9.77 KB)

Well that's clear enough, the moon phase icons are no longer hosted there. I don't see why that would impact anything else though - the icons are drawn at a particular x,y position so you should just see a blank space where they are supposed to be.

I'd search the web for some suitable icons and load them yourself manually, or if worst comes to worst draw them yourself.

Just to update this thread. I decided to try a different computer to see f that would make a difference or get the icons to load. I had earlier tried to the UART to work on one of my Debian based computers to work with the Weather Station Color. It didn't seem to work at the time. So, yesterday I reconnected the Feathers and ran the IDE. I had to run lsusb to see if the computer recognized the UART device and it did. Set the proper port on the IDE, compiled and uploaded the sketch onto the Feather. And to my amazement, the icons were on the screen. I don't know what the difference is between the two sketches, but I will compare the 2 and report back.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions with this project. Onto the next project.

Scott