Daw controller

Hey whats up guys!

Im an audio engineer and would like to build some controllers to operate my daw... My intention is to create something to control things such as volume, pan, equalizer parameters, etc. The project would have basicaly potentiometers or enconders... And few push buttons.

My First question is... Would be a Good choice to use enconders is this project? They Will let me to recall the project saved and move the controls at the exactly point it was saved?

Also i would like to understand how big this controller could be. My intention is to create a big controllers with something around 100 encoderns. Is it possible to do this with Arduino one? Is there expantions to do this or some other Arduino model would be a better choice?

Insted of create a big controller can i build some diferent controllers and use them togheter? What would be the best way to do this?

Hope to get some tips and suggetions to start this project.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Rotary encoders need at least 2 input pins, and sometimes more if they have a button, LED or other extra features.

I do not believe any Arduino compatible board offers 200 pins, so you'll almost certainly need to use multiple boards or other extra hardware to connect so many encoders.

Thanks Paul,

Please, Tell me... How many digital inputs can i conect to Arduino? I dont wanna use the encoders buttons or LEDs... Its Rotary only. Is there any expantions available to get more inputs? Or you recommend to get a bigger arduino model?

Is there any limitation to use multiple boards connected to the computer at once? I gonna need many usb ports... They all gonna work togheter?

Thanks

They Will let me to recall the project saved and move the controls at the exactly point it was saved?

Will they? If I am understanding correctly they will not.

Please, Tell me... How many digital inputs can i conect to Arduino?

As many as you want, but it involves adding extra chips on your own board. If you are looking for ready made boards you are going to fall short of your required numbers.
You are going to need hardware skills to be able to do this. It is a long learning curve.

Is this a MIDI project I am assuming so but you have not said.

Grumpy_Mike:
Will they? If I am understanding correctly they will not.
As many as you want, but it involves adding extra chips on your own board. If you are looking for ready made boards you are going to fall short of your required numbers.
You are going to need hardware skills to be able to do this. It is a long learning curve.

Is this a MIDI project I am assuming so but you have not said.

Thanks Grumpy_Mike... yes it is a MIDI project.

What I want is... I´m working in a audio session... I tweak many things using the controller and save the session. Later, when I get back to this session and move the encoders again... the values saved will move at the point it stoped before? Or the encoder´s position will determine de value... like a potentiometer does? Do you understand? I want to be able to keep controlling at the point I did stop earlier. I did try this with potentiometers already and once I touch it the value goes to the potentiometer position... and mess my settings up.

As you said would be difficult to expand the board. Then I´m thinking maybe to work with arduino mega... and create some diferent controlls. Will I be able to use like... 4 or 5 controllers togheter?

Thanks! :smiley:

There are two types of rotary encoders, absolute and incremental. With an absolute encoder you get, like a pot a fixed code depending on the rotation position. With an incremental encoder you only get a pulse each time the encoder is turned through a specific angle so I am guessing that is what you want. Don't use a knob with a pointer on it though.

Will I be able to use like... 4 or 5 controllers togheter?

You will require two input lines per rotary knob. If you use more than one processor then you have to somehow combine the streams, or have more than one controller being able to control your Daw.

In general I do not recommend using more than one processor because it often creates more problems than it solves, as I feel it does in this case.

While there is plenty of similar projects on the net, this is something that I cover in my book:-