DC Brushed Motor Driver

Hi

I have been offered a New Parvalux PM 90 motor for reasonable money and was looking to control it via the Arduino.

I would like to drive it via a driver shield / controller, could anyone recommend a controller to allow me to do this.

I have inclued a link for the Data sheet below

PM 90 Data Sheet

Thanks for your Help

Potman

what voltage, what load, what duty, what application ?

PM90 is not one motor, its a family with different shafts, different windings, different speeds, you
need to give full information from the motor plate.

Hi MarkT & jackrae

Thanks for your responses, having looked in to the Motor a little more I think it might a little too big for the project I have in mind.

I am looking for a motor to incorporate in to a CD resurfacing unit, needs to have a high rpm (3000 upwards) and reasonable torque, and 5mm diameter on the spindle.

I was think about a 12 volt DC Motor as I would like to run it on an Adafruit motor shield.

Any Recommendations ?

Regards & Thanks

Darren

"reasonable torque" - you have to put a number on this.

Hi MarkT

To be honest I'm not 100% sure, I have more experience in programming than electronics, and this is something I just wanted to have a play with.

I deal in CD's and have been looking for a Machine to basically sand the bottom of CD's, this coupled with a Professional Media Re-surface machine I own, it would drastically cut down repair time.

There is only one Available for purchase online and having tested it, it did not do a good job and I returned it.

So I decided to try and create my own, the motor I was looking at will spin a platter which will hold the cd, then the polishing / Sanding pads will be lowered via a lead screw system powered by a stepper motor, allowing control of pressure the will be placed on the Cd / platter.

I currently have an UNO, Adafruit Stepper Shield, and the stepper working, there is a spare connection for a
DC Motor and wanted to use then, I would power the Motor via a 12v 5 amp PSU.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to give you a better picture, I am learning more about Electronics but think I would be better sticking with Shields for Now !

Thanks

Potman

You have to figure out the torque, which often is done by experiment or by comparing to an
existing working commercial unit for which the motor specs are available.

Motor power = torque x angular velocity, so you have to know the torque to size the motor.

Thanks for the reply m8.

The commercial unit I have does not have any spec's at all.

I understand what you mean, I was just going to go above what I needed and as most of the torque would be caused by the sanding pads that would be lowered on to the spinning disk work it out from there.

Think I might have to figure a way to get some stats from the machine I have, the only issue is, it's a closed unit when it's running so not to sure how I'm going to do it.

Thanks

Potman

A bit of lateral thinking is needed - back-of-the-envelope calculations, perhaps start by
measuing the force needed on a sanding pad when not spinning. You only need a rough
idea, but you do need the right order-of-magnitude.