dc motor at lower then suggested voltage

hello,

Have been posting about this project using these motors:

For the project I’ve been working on the shape of the motors is very nice. THe speed however is best when I run them at 3 volts of power from my regulated supply. I also have noticed that they don’t heat up as much. I did a test without arduino and ran the motor for 8 hours without stop to see if I would run into any problems, all is well so far.

I’m wondering since the installation I am working on requires that the motors be turned on and off in patterns over the course of 2 weeks 8 hours a day, if there is any reason that running these little motors on lower then suggested voltage is a bad idea.

thanks for all the help again!

E

hi richard,

thanks for responding--I have a metal rod welded to it, however it is not striking anything---would the on and off function/striking have a greatly different/stronger effect on the motors longevity, or would leaving it on be a better test of its endurance?

E

thanks for responding--I have a metal rod welded to it, however it is not striking anything---would the on and off function/striking have a greatly different/stronger effect on the motors longevity, or would leaving it on be a better test of its endurance?

welll as richard told they behave different i.e with and without load the first thing that would change is the powerconsumption which i guess is directly propotional to heat :( but in general i dont guess it would harm them :P

yes–judging by the fact that the motors seem to be running fine, not heating up after hours of running—my guess is it will be ok, any other thoughts?

thanks!

I've had this working with a 6 motor array, running off of 9 volt batteries, but when I ran the motors off of a 9volt supply they began to over heat, so you would suggest keeping it within the regulated voltage and use the PWM to control speed instead? To be honest the speed is less the problem for the project then the issue of longevity/motors being able to stay working for the project--