Dc motor controller help

Hey so I’m working on a project that includes 5 12v 2.7amp dc motors, and a servo. The robot is tank steering. There are two motors on either side of the drivetrain. I need to be able to control the speed and rotational direction of those four motors, and the two sides need to work independently of each other. The 5th motor is to pull a rope, so the speed doesn’t really matter, I just need to be able to turn it on and off. And the servo I need to be able to control the speed and direction of as well. I’m a beginner to this stuff so I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m using a arduino uno. I need to know everything I need in order to make this functional, I also need to know how it all goes together. Thanks!

Are you really sure you need to control the motor speed? If so, you need to always KNOW what that speed is and to do that you need some type of sensor t tell your Arduino the speed of each motor.
Perhaps you just need to be able to adjust the speed and really don't care what the actual RPM is.
Paul

Yes, I need to be Able to control the speed. I’ve been reading a lot about motor controllers and they seem to all control the speed using pwm signals, I haven’t seen anything talking about needing sensors. I was also struggling to find a motor controller that was able to handle two 2.7 amp motors at once. I was planning to buy three motor controllers to power all 5 motors. And you’re right I don’t need to know the speed or the rpms, it’s jsut for the drive train.

jax137:
Yes, I need to be Able to control the speed. I’ve been reading a lot about motor controllers and they seem to all control the speed using pwm signals, I haven’t seen anything talking about needing sensors. I was also struggling to find a motor controller that was able to handle two 2.7 amp motors at once. I was planning to buy three motor controllers to power all 5 motors. And you’re right I don’t need to know the speed or the rpms, it’s jsut for the drive train.

The motor controllers can change the speed to go faster or go slower, but they do not know what that speed is. It seems to me your project actually needs to know the speed of each motor so the machine can be turned by skidding some wheels while spinning others. Perhaps find equivalent motors with sensors that can help you determine wheel rotation rates.

I appreciate your ideas, but the plan for the steering is that since the two sides of the drivetrain are independent from each other, one side can simply slow down while the other remains at a higher speed to turn. Each side has a dedicated joystick on my controller to allow this to work.
The motor controller I am thinking of using is the cryton 10a dual channel bidirectional dc motor driver. I am still unsure though of how to connect the servo to the arduino aswell.

Servos are easy. You just need one digital pin and some power then use the Servo.h library which comes with examples showing how to drive servos.

Motor driver sounds o.k. Are you planning on using just one driver with 2 motors per channel? Or 2 drivers?

Many people have made "Arduino tank-steer robots" already so a little searching will find projects to give you plenty of information to work with.

Steve

I will be using one motor per channel. So I should need three motor controllers. And I have used the same drivetrain, with the same set up, although I did not do the electronics nor did it use arduino, so I know it works I just have to set it up. I just have one more question, I need to control the robot wirelessly, I could use a controller or my phone. I was thinking of using Bluetooth, and just connecting it to my phone, but I don’t know what I need to buy or how it works.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.