DC Motor destroyed?

Hello everybody

For my arduino project i us a rather big dc motor (24v). Everything worked fine until i accidentally hit the shaft of the dc Motor with a hammer, on the side where you solder on the wires.

After that the motor made weird sounds especially when i held it upright ( the part with the gear facing to the ceiling) and lost some torque.
In my despair i just hit it from the opposing side, this time with a rubber hammer and more gently. After that i connected it again and it didn't make the weird noises and i think it runs just as smooth as before. I let it spin in each direction for about one to two minutes and in every position and it didn't heat up or produce noises.

Now i'm still not 100% convinced that i "repaired" it and i wouldn't want to use it for my project if it had to be replaced soon, because it will be in a hard to reach spot.

Are there any ways to make sure it is still working fine, or do you think i should trust it anyways?

I thank you for your replies

krokodart:
Are there any ways to make sure it is still working fine, or do you think i should trust it anyways?

Without physically seeing the motor I can't think of any thing to advise you.

What would be the worst that could happen if you decide to use the motor and then it fails? If that is VERY BAD then just get another motor.

...R

Hey Krokodart,

Weird noise and loss of torque is probably a sign of misalignment on the gearing and if that's the case then knocking it back into alignment was probably all it needed. The only way to be certain (other than replacing the motor) would be to tear the motor down and examine the gear box as well as the rotator/commutator etc.

To Robin2's point this becomes about the level of risk you are willing to accept. If it's a pain to replace the motor once installed how much is your time worth?

Cheers,
Fenian

krokodart:
Hello everybody

For my arduino project i us a rather big dc motor (24v). Everything worked fine until i accidentally hit the shaft of the dc Motor with a hammer, on the side where you solder on the wires.

Your notion of "rather big" is probably very different from mine - which motor exactly? Photo?
What kind of bearings does it have?

krokodart:
Hello everybody

After that the motor made weird sounds especially when i held it upright ( the part with the gear facing to the ceiling) and lost some torque.

Sounds like mechanical damage of some sort.
What do you consider a big motor ?
Physical size or power consumption. ?

Ok, first off thank you for your help. The motor is a mabuchi rs455pa. (I know for some people it may be still a tiny motor, but im used to small 5v's.)

Since i can't open it without destroying it and after reading your comments i think i'll use it anyway, although replacing it would be very annoying. Wish me luck.

Just to explain: The problem is that i took it from an old printer, so i don't know if i could find replacements soon. I built a mount for it, so if it were broken i had build a new one for the replacement motor, unless id had the exact same measurements.

But it is still running smoothly so i hope it's alright.

That's not a big motor.

Have you visually inspected the brushes/commutator.

Again: What kind of bearings does it have? If phosphor bronze bushings you should add a little light
machine oil as this is an old motor.

Im not sure what kind of bearings it has. But it's still working so i think it will be ok to use. Anyway, thanks allot for your help!

Have a good one!