DC Motor Power

I have a question about powering motors. So I'm running 4 of these motors on the L293D motor shield:

I'm powering my arduino with a 9V battery, and the motors with 4x1.5V AA batteries. All 4 motors run fine with this setup. My question is if the motors are rated for 3V, 4 of them would need 12V. If I'm only supplying them with 6V (voltage drop from the L293D would be result in around 3.5V), how are they even running? There is enough current being supplied, I'm just confused on the voltage part. Thanks in advance.

MoeMan:
I have a question about powering motors. So I'm running 4 of these motors on the L293D motor shield:
DC Gearbox Motor - TT Motor - 200RPM - 3 to 6VDC : ID 3777 : $2.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

I'm powering my arduino with a 9V battery, and the motors with 4x1.5V AA batteries. All 4 motors run fine with this setup. My question is if the motors are rated for 3V, 4 of them would need 12V. If I'm only supplying them with 6V (voltage drop from the L293D would be result in around 3.5V), how are they even running? There is enough current being supplied, I'm just confused on the voltage part. Thanks in advance.

No, if you are powering four 3V motors you need 3V. You wouldn't normally wire motors in series.

Given the L293D drops about 2.5V, your 4xAA pack has about the right voltage, but not enough current for
4 motors, neither can the L293D handle high current loads either.

You can run motors in series, but its rarely done as they will typically run different speeds and have little speed control (torque should be matched well, but not speed).

Thank you!