DC motor & pump

Hey there guys,

First of all, I am quite new to Arduino so bear me if my question is too noobism.

We are designing a robot, where we are controlling the four DC motors with the help of two L298N. I used this configuration from the video VIDEO here. On L298N, we have connected the 12V pin with our 12V battery whereas the GND pin of L298N is common'd with Arduino GND pin and negative pin of Battery.

Problem is the DC motors are working only when my Arduino is connected via USB port with computer, so how can it work when it is not connected with computer? How to run DC motors when Arduino is not connected with USB port of computer?

Any links/explanation etc?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

You arduino is powered via the USB port, to make it independant you will need a supply for it.
Either a 7 to 12Vdc supply using the DC socket, or a 5V supply connected to the 5V pin on the controller.

What model arduino are you using?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Hello there Tom,

I am also member of the aniskazi's group. We are using Arduino Mega 2560.

I will be testing out the thing you mentioned, and will post here with results.

Thank you.

Once the program is uploaded to Arduino chip - then we can disconnect the USB power & connect the 12V supply with DC socket?

One thing more, we are integrating 2 L298N (controls 2 DC motors each), DC Pump & few sensors with our Arduino Mega. How much supply do we have to provide in order to get ideal output?

Bear us if our questions are too noobish :stuck_out_tongue:

zoma786:
Once the program is uploaded to Arduino chip - then we can disconnect the USB power & connect the 12V supply with DC socket?

One thing more, we are integrating 2 L298N (controls 2 DC motors each), DC Pump & few sensors with our Arduino Mega. How much supply do we have to provide in order to get ideal output?

Bear us if our questions are too noobish :stuck_out_tongue:

measure the stall current of the motors. Jam the motor's rotor and see how much current the motor draws? I expect you will destroy your driver circuit. I have used L298 as motor drivers. I use a 12v gear motor that normally draws 500ma unloaded. When I stall it, I blow the drivers 10A fuses.

Your 'ideal' output is too open ended. Is your 'Ideal' minimum power consumption? Maximum Speed? Maximum Endurance?

Chuck.