DCHP with official wifi shield

Hi

forgive me if this is a dumb question but I'm new to this. I have the new wifi shield and can successfully connect to it once I read the ip address off the serial monitor. However, I want to be able to give it a dhcp name so I can reference it as any other server on my local network. There seems to be a way to do this with the Ethernet shield but not the wifi one. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

thx

I want to be able to give it a dhcp name

You probably mean a DNS name. This is usually done by giving a fixed IP and assigning a DNS name to that IP. The fixed IP can be configured in the DHCP server and in most cases this is done based on the MAC address of the client. You get the MAC address of the WiFi shield on every DHCP request, so you could just use that one.

There seems to be a way to do this with the Ethernet shield but not the wifi one.

No, you cannot specify a DHCP name in the Ethernet library but there you can specify a fixed IP directly in your sketch. This is not possible in the WiFi library because the use of DHCP is currently fixed in the firmware of the shield. Theoretically you are free to change that in the firmware and the library because both source codes are free.