Dead Arduino Uno R3

OK, I can't upload any sketches to my uno.

First the status. Blink sketch is running, power light is on, when I plug it into the usb port, it is recognized by the system and shows up properly in the hardware section. When I try to upload a new sketch, I get the avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync: resp = 0x30 error which I assume is a generic "cannot upload" error.

Things I have tried:
5 additional usb cables, along with various different usb slots. To check the usb chip on the uno, I used Flip to reflash it. It flashed with no errors and verify was successful. I also read out the firmware in flip and it read correctly.
Loopback failed.
I tried to reflash the bootloader with my mega board and got the same avrdude error.

I am running windows xp sp3 and the drivers are installed and working and using Arduino 1.5.4 IDE
So, what's left? What part have I fried?

Have you ever been able to upload to the board?

Yep, it was working fine before. I haven't as far as I know applied any over voltages to any of the pins either.

Displacer:
...I used Flip to reflash it. It flashed with no errors and verify was successful. I also read out the firmware in flip and it read correctly.
Loopback failed.

FLIP worked. Loopback failed. That's suspicious.

Please retry the loopback test...
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0

Loopback still fails

Do you have an SMD board or a DIP board?

DIP, and it's an official one, not a knockoff. I thought I burned up the controller chip but the last sketch I uploaded before this happened was blink and it's still working so I don't know what's going on.

Oh and I also have tried pulling the chip and reseating it

Try the loopback test with the processor removed from the board.

fail with chip pulled as well. Forgot to mention that

Displacer:
When I try to upload a new sketch, I get the avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync: resp = 0x30 error which I assume is a generic “cannot upload” error.

Post the verbose output from an upload attempt.

Sketch uses 466 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\DOCUME~1\Lonnie\LOCALS~1\Temp\build8424101500929946846.tmp/sketch_dec18a.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv: 0 [30]
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30

avrdude done. Thank you.

As far as I can tell there are just two possibilities...

1. Something went wrong when you flipped the ATmega16U2
  2. The ATmega16U2 is toast

Which leaves one path...
• Retry flipping
• If the problem persists, buy a new board

Yea, that's what I thought. Must have had some transit static cook the chip. I have a new board coming, I'll try swapping the micro chip just to be sure then toss it if it still doesn't work. Thanks for the help