Dear Arduino community, we need to talk

It's not only about the hardware but about the idea.

Does anyone think this project could survive without Banzi, Cuartielles, Igoe, Mellis?

Please open your eyes and even more your mind.

Who are the original founders?

Where did this project born?

Where was the factory partner's when someone decided to turn it into Open Source to save the idea?

Do you really think this phenomenon could have happened if someone had started to think only about a profitable business?. Money is needed but good ideas are less abundant, is more easy to find a new factory than a good idea. And talking about this, it should be good to explain why Italy instead of China... (think Martino)

I hope they can reach the most beneficial arrangement for both parties, but from my point of view I will support the idea above a particular trademark.

La avaricia rompe el saco/Greed breaks the sack

clovisf:
Well, not even the smartest of us would have seen this coming (or maybe the core team could…).

The thing is: we all know that OPEN SOURCE is NOT PROFITABLE and WILL NEVER BE! nobody works for free. what is profitable is SELLING hardware. This is why everybody (Arduino, Teensy, SeeedStudio, Mbuino, MBED, among others) SELL HARDWARE.

I am not really surprised that at least ONE of the original Arduino founders was smart enough to try and make profits out of it!.

Sorry not sorry for being sincere, but truth is truth.

Truth is truth but this is not the case. Legally… we will see, but your point of view lacks something.

Don’t think that you are trying to justify what is happening but the thing is that we can see that someone is trying to get rights about something is not of his own, kicking asses of the other founders (who had the idea) of the project.

I am impressed by those on hold the truth, in fact they express that they would like to be THEIR truth.

I do not know who misbehaved the first because it is an affair internal to "family Arduino" and [u]nothing is[/u] [u]public.[/u]

Justice is seized, let it do its work.

68tjs: I do not know who misbehaved the first because it is an affair internal to "family Arduino" and [u]nothing is[/u] [u]public.[/u]

actuallly many paper from the american process is open to the public, you just have to look for them. https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/mad/167131/

Thank you for the link. But I stand by what I said : we do not know what happened exactly inside the group. Each party says what she wants. It is to [u]both[/u] court judgments (US [u]and[/u] [u]EU[/u]) that will tell the truth.

My feeling is that everyone is trying to score points and an agreement will be reached before the judgments or just before the judgments in appeals.

68tjs: Thank you for the link. But I stand by what I said : we do not know what happened exactly inside the group. Each party says what she wants. It is to [u]both[/u] court judgments (US [u]and[/u] [u]EU[/u]) that will tell the truth.

Court judgments don't "tell the truth" either - they are rather another form of opinion. A "legal truth" as it were.

However, there are enough facts in public to determine that Martino's hardware company is copying Arduino LLC. The fact that Martino was a partner in Arduino LLC, and regardless of what private agreements there were between partners, there is [u]no possible justification[/u] for Martino's (and Musto's) actions. He either trying to steal Arduino business or blackmail them into an agreement, I'm not sure which.

[u]Even[/u] if Martino has a legitimate compliant against his partners, the [u]correct[/u] way to resolve that is to bring a suit in court (to "find the truth" as you think).

Ignoring the public facts and sticking your head in the sand is a good excuse for denial - "not my problem so I don't care".

What support is this new Arduino entity offering the community here on the forum?

I do not put my head in the sand, I do not worship leader, [u]I[/u] [u]defend or[/u] [u]accuse anyone[/u], I believe that no one can now say who is wrong and who is right. I say that those who do, express primarily their choice, it is their right, but can not claim to hold the truth.

When I spent my french bacalaureat ,science option, I had philosophy courses and I never forget the advice of my teacher: - Never trust without control or justifications. - Always look for [u]contrary[/u] views - To analyze these different opinions - And only after getting his own opignon.

I think it will do nothing that I continued to write on this post. by

68tjs: - Always look for [u]contrary[/u] views

maybe you missed this: http://arduino.org/blog/1-the-new-blog/to-the-makers

68tjs:
[…]

I think it will do nothing that I continued to write on this post.
by

Why not, everyone is free to think what he wants, even I agree with that philosophy and everyone is innocent until proven otherwise, but this case is mostly “ideas vs money”.

While thoughts are free for all community members, who will return back some added value, money is just for a group of interested people who will not return back too much for us.

That is the main difference between both contenders.

Yes, i agree.

Some that is legal can not be correct. Martino is only one of 5 original creator of arduino, but he register the name Arduino in Italy, and don't tell nothing to the other 4 members.

For me the case is closed, this is not correct and it is not important if this is legal or not.

Some that is legal can not be correct. Martino is only one of 5 original creator of arduino, but he register the name Arduino in Italy, and don't tell nothing to the other 4 members.

Since the beginning official boards had to be made in Italy. But the 4 announced they want to make the cards around the world and the TRE will be manufactured in the US. The fact is : Smart project was losing new board business whereas he was involved and supported the project since several years.

One more time I do not know the reasons for this change maybe 4 were right, maybe they were wrong, I don't know

The problem is much more complex than some want to believe.

lesto: maybe you missed this: http://arduino.org/blog/1-the-new-blog/to-the-makers

Whether the part of one or the other complainant they don't deliver information but they speak, they communicate, and because of the legal claims they can not do otherwise.

Yes, the 4 want bring production to other nation, we are in democracy, the 5 can vote and martino can vote NO. This is the maximum that he can do.

Instead he register the name Arduino, whitout tell nothing to the other 4 member, and he declare that he, only himself, is the official Arduino.

The case remain very closed and very clear for me :)

I hope they all reach a new agreement.

I'm usually the last one to hear about anything ("we're not ones to go 'round spreadin' rumours"), but you all have heard this, right?:

http://makezine.com/2015/05/16/arduino-adafruit-manufacturing-genuino/

http://makezine.com/2015/05/16/arduino-adafruit-manufacturing-genuino/

Apparently you will have to cut and paste, sorry about that.

P.S.: For some reason I was able to post a link today. The other day I could not. Don't know what I did different.

Apparently you will have to cut and paste, sorry about that

Why not just post it as a link?

because the link tag is broken (or maybe have been fixed in the last update?) anyway IMHO the website engine should autolink it…

Banzi has released an interview in italian where he was exlaining Genuino is a mark until the “arduino” brand legal thing is closed in italy/europe (and because italy… well probably in 5-15 years)

it has say that he still looking for manifacture in italy, and they are already manufactoring in India for the local market (probably 30€ of board in idia is waaaay to much), so maybe we will see some more distributed manifacture.

This link control is broken?

seems the have fixed it

asd

but if you qick-edt the post, as you can see, there is still the "long code div" bug... this forum is still stabilizing its code