Debian and Arduino

Who has Debian working with Arduino?

I’ve noticed much of the Debian info seems a bit deprecated.

Could you post working arduino and avrdude conf files?

I have two Diecimila boards and I encounter the same error with both:

avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

So it seems to be some software issue. Suggestions? Experience?

I'm having a Debian problem. I can't get Debian working but I slapped in a hdd with 64 bit Ubuntu. I had to copy some 32 bit java libraries but then it worked. I'll set upload to verbose and see what's going on.

When I try to communicate with the Arduino board using avrdude from the command line I receive these error messages:

desktop:~$ avrdude -c stk500 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -p M168 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeoutt

This is a Gutsy Gibbon new install using a standard 6-pin FTDI cable. The Arduino boards I've tried include the BBB by Moderndevice.com and the Boarduino by adafruit.com. Both give same results.

Have you tried it as root?

Yes... same results.

Have you tried pressing the reset button on the board shortly before or after pressing the upload button in the software? It's possible that the auto-reset functionality doesn't work with the FTDI cable under Linux.

Tried all timing sequences for the reset button without success. Then I downgraded my install to 0009 and all is well!

FYI, this PC is a Sempron 2400+ by Wintergreen Systems and is setup to dual-boot Win XP and Ubuntu 7.10. I had the same problem using 0010 on the Win XP side and solved it with a downgrade to 0009.

The hardware/software combo was tested with multiple Arduinos and clones (BBB, Boarduino, etc.) and with 0010 none would accept uploads; with 0009 all uploaded flawlessly.

Weird, because I don't think the upload process changed between 0009 and 0010 (or at least, I don't remember there being anything significant). If you run Arduino 0010 with upload.verbose set to true in your Arduino preference file, what output do you get when try to upload?

Output is:

"Using port: /dev/ttyUSB0 Using Programmer: stk500v1 Overriding Baud Rate: 19200

Could not find USB device 0x1781/0xc9f

Avrdude done. Thank you.".

Same output occurs on this machine under Win XP. Probably an issue with the way the motherboard handles USB.