Decoding 2.4ghz airplane receiver.

I have a spektrum 5ch AR500 DSM2 receiver for use with the DX5e, and I am trying to take the outputs from the receiver use them as inputs into an arduino uno. I'm really not sure where to start, and where ever I read about this sort of thing, I don't know what to do with it. Please, dumb it down (a bit) for me so I can get the ball rolling.

Interface details?

What do you mean by interface details? I think I just need to be able to decode the PWM of each channel to get the input data.

I think if you search the old forum, you will probably find numerous previous discussions on decoding RC receiver outputs.

I'll try again.

therealsutano: What do you mean by interface details? I think I just need to be able to decode the PWM of each channel to get the input data.

You didn't say they were PWM, or provide any other information about the system.

I wasn't exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure its PWM

Most R/C receivers no matter what frequency band they use are designed for only connections to servo or ESC controllers. This is the familiar servo PPM (not pwm) pulse of 1-2 msec duration with a 20-25 hz period. There have been sketches published showing how to decode these signals and basically the Arduino pulseIn() command is all that is really required, one for each R/C channel you wish to utilize.

Lefty

I wasn't exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure its PWM

If it goes to a servo, then it is probably PPM. If you've got sufficient resolution, you can do PPM with PWM, but the Arduino's PWM is too coarse, and the wrong frequency for R/C PPM.

I got pulseIn to work, thanks; however, my arduino stopped working soon after :/ Time to move to the support forum