deep sleep

Hi,

is there any information available on the sleep modes of the MRK1000 (current consumption, how to enter, how to get out)?
I am looking for a deep sleep mode with a current consumption <100µA.

Application: Read a sensor value all 10 minutes and transmit via WIFI, battery powered.

kind regards

Frank

hello Franki01,

I'm afraid there is no real "deep" sleep of the MKR1000 available with less than 100µA current (at least not to my knowledge currently), see my post:

how to reduce power consumption

Even without ever switching on the WiFi module, I measured a current of ~3mA in the standby mode of the MKR1000 (see RTCZero doc).

Other arduino-like devices like the ones from "jeelabs" might be a better choice for just transmitting a sensor value every 10 minutes.

rgs, Michael.

Can confirm michael_bb's results here.

Battery (1200 mah) doesn't last half as long as expected and I will probably end up supplementing it with a solar panel to give it some extra life. That sort of defeats the purpose of the battery port too.

Really hope they have some form of upgrade coming from Atmel to fix the issue.

Hey everyone,

There's a new pull request open in the WiFi101 repo for the WiFi side of this: https://github.com/arduino-libraries/WiFi101/pull/49

Hi,

thanks, I solved the issue at the moment switching the power supply of the MRK1000 with a pmos transistor triggered by an arduino mini pro (current consumption can be reduced to app. 5µA), not very elegant to have two µC running but it solves the issue.

Another interesting part I found is a timer from TI: TPL5111 (not testet yet), it should allow a current consumption of less than 50nA!

kind regards

Frank

michael_bb: hello Franki01,

I'm afraid there is no real "deep" sleep of the MKR1000 available with less than 100µA current (at least not to my knowledge currently), see my post:

how to reduce power consumption

Even without ever switching on the WiFi module, I measured a current of ~3mA in the standby mode of the MKR1000 (see RTCZero doc).

Other arduino-like devices like the ones from "jeelabs" might be a better choice for just transmitting a sensor value every 10 minutes.

rgs, Michael.

Big part of ~3 mA is power LED

hello Franki01,

maybe for your application:

Read a sensor value all 10 minutes and transmit via WIFI, battery powered.

an ATmega328 (ArduinoProMini 3.3V) plus the a WINC1500 module module is sufficient - and a better choice for low power operation.

rgs, Michael.