delay() .... no longer supported

I just saw this interesting line in the new next release of "Processing" (which is what Arduino is partially inspired by, for those who dont know)

Just to clarify: This is for the Processing language/development, which is a close sister of Arduino.

delay() has been removed. Nobody understood what it did, and when they did, they didn't understand why it was there. Huge source of confusion, especially for beginning students

Considering the many questions and problems on this forum thread on delay() ... take the same approach. Stop using delay(). It is only usefull for tiny testprograms.

(Edited: Clarified this is not Arduino)

In which part of the world is it April First?

That is for the next version of Processing, not Arduino. Just to make that clear. The point is - they have come to the conclusion it does more harm than good.

Is it April 1st?

Nobody understood what it did ...

I understood what it did, so that statement is not true.

In fact I explained it here:

http://gammon.com.au/blink

And if I may, it is fine for:

• Demo programs that blink an LED
  • Pauses when playing tunes
  • Debouncing button presses

Oh well, it is only a few lines of code to put your own one back.

Msquare: The point is - they have come to the conclusion it does more harm than good.

Better get rid of the String library then as well.

It is not needed in Processing because the basic unit of time is the frame, given by the frame rate command. In that context delay has very little use, because it does not define any delay that is useful, you just need to count frames.

Grumpy_Mike: you just need to count frames.

or count millis() ....

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=79574.msg601272#msg601272 date=1321738520]

Msquare: The point is - they have come to the conclusion it does more harm than good.

Better get rid of the String library then as well. [/quote]

Baha! Nick++