delay the reading of probe on power-up

I have a Single Point liquid level capacitance probe project that I have. It is working in the test mode . That is when water touches the probe a LED goes on. Which will be a motor eventually. When tank is empty the probes value is stored in EEPROM. I compare that with the current sensor reading.

The problem is when I power up the sensor value starts at 0 and takes a couple seconds to 33 which is the value stored and compared to. So, The light goes on power up and then once it gets to the current value it goes off. Once liquid touches it the light goes on.

I want the probe to not give a value for 5 seconds, but I do want it to come up to the sensor value of 33 (water not touching). Then after 5 seconds everything would be in proper working order. I want to omit the initial light on at power up.

I tried it with millis() , setting and interval and comparing previous Millis to current millis but I could get that to work , any help would be appreciated.

Very difficult to say what is wrong without see your code. Can you post it using the code tags? Anyway, may be just adding a delay() in setup() will work.

Ciao, Ale.

I tried this at the beginning this caused nothing to happen at all

unsigned long interval =5000; //timer interval to wait on power up
unsigned long previousMillis = 0;
unsigned long currentMillis;

currentMillis = millis();
do{digitalWrite(alert_LED, LOW);
}while((currentMillis - previousMillis) < interval);

this is the LED/Motor section that is activated when water touches probe.
this works well. calEmptyVal is the calibration value when water is not touching probe. This is stored in EEPROM

//output if water level reaches probe
if(calEmptyVal < average - tolerence){
digitalWrite(alert_LED, HIGH);
}
else if(calEmptyVal > average + tolerence){
digitalWrite(alert_LED,HIGH);
}
else{
digitalWrite(alert_LED, LOW);
}

Hi, Do you turn the arduino controller on at the same time as the sensor? If so then put a 5second delay in your void setup() section of code, it will only be executed once on startup.

Tom.... :)

The only power needed is for the arduino. The sensor is I made from tubes I made I just want the arduino to read the value of the probe only on start up( 0 to 32) and do nothing else. Just putting delay in start up is not what I am looking for .

Hi,

I want the probe to not give a value for 5 seconds, but I do want it to come up to the sensor value of 33 (water not touching). Then after 5 seconds everything would be in proper working order.

I just want the arduino to read the value of the probe only on start up( 0 to 32) and do nothing else.

Sorry ???????????