Deleting Arduino from USB drive

I accidentally installed (read= "as a test, because i didn't do enough research")Arduino (zip-file) on my USB drive. It didn't work however, and I deleted it. I entirely formatted the USB, it was completely empty. Now I'm trying to install Arduino again (this time as Admin), but it says i have to UNINSTALL Arduino from the USB drive. But the problem is that my USB drive is completely empty, and there is nothing to "uninstall". I also tried uninstalling the drivers, but the installing window still gives the same warning. Does anyone have a clue how to uninstall Arduino from my USB drive?

This is an answer I already posted elsewhere but it should just about cover your needs and some of which you can ignore as it is almost unedited.

Did you UNINSTALL your previous version fully before installing 1.6.12

What board ? What OS ? USB type ports used 2.0 or 3.0 ? these are all very useful bits of information to have in the forum.

I use REVO to uninstall set to max, CCLEANER to get rid of the crud followed by WISE REGISTRY cleaner to root out any stray bits. That method is by far the best way to not only remove programs but to do a thorough clean up of your computer too... both CCLEANER and WISE are advert free and work very well.

There may also be an Arduino folder that gets left if you are on windows.

The path normally used would be

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Arduino15
or
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15

You can DELETE this preferably before you run WISE.

I would also recommend saving your SKETCHES folder somewhere else until you have your IDE up and running too.

No, I deleted the file as soon as i figured it wouldn't work on my USB (and how do you uninstall it in the first place?).

Board: UNO
USB: 2.0

btw: thanks for the quick reply!

There is no installation procedure when using the .zip package. You just unzip it and put it somewhere (it should work from a USB drive, too, as far as I know). There is no uninstallation procedure (as noted above, it puts some crap into that location under appdata - this does not prevent the installer from installing though)

The installer cannot tell where you have "installed" any previous zip package to, or if you have a copy of Arduino on your system that was installed from a zip package - so only arduino installations that were made with the installer need to be removed before installing a different version from the installer.

THEREFORE one of the following must be true:

• You did not "install" on the USB drive using the zip, but in fact installed from the installer.

• You previously had installed a version of Arduino using the installer.

Either way, uninstall from add/remove programs - that's the list the installer checks. If you'd installed (with installer) to the USB drive, you may have difficulty removing it - I'd make sure the drive was plugged in at the time.

When you run the IDe even from an unzipped location it (at least on my computer) generates other files.
These are not bound to be on the USB drive.

Example.. I set up a regular installed IDE and am happy with it. I then place an unzipped version somewhere to play with. the unzipped version picks up my preferences that were in the installed version and uses them as it would an installed version so If I had already pointed my sketches folder somewhere it would use that location as the de-facto one to store new libraries and sketches etc as the libs folder often resides in the sketches folder.

Hence the reason for telling you where other items may be and suggesting the WISE reg cleaner too.

Ballscrewbob:
I set up a regular installed IDE and am happy with it. I then place an unzipped version somewhere to play with. the unzipped version picks up my preferences that were in the installed version and uses them as it would an installed version so If I had already pointed my sketches folder somewhere it would use that location as the de-facto one to store new libraries and sketches etc as the libs folder often resides in the sketches folder.

That's because those settings are in your preferences.txt file that's in the Arduino15 folder, not because it's reading something from the registry.

@ Pert

Nope its not reading from the registry I stated it picked up my prefs not a reg key.

I don't have a VM right now to test what just an extracted version does in any other regard but I do know there ARE traces in the registry from UNZIPPED versions.

If you are on windows its very easy to check out and hence I fully stand by a registry clean too.

Thank you @Ballscrewbob for helping me out, I managed to uninstall arduino and reinstalling it back to normal. I tested it with my arduino board when installed and it works! Thank you again!