Deleting Serial Driver for Arduino 16

I inadvertently loaded the Intel-based serial driver (v2.2.9) for the Arduino 0016 application on a Mac PowerBook G4 (XOS 10.3.9). I realized my error when the correct serial port was not listed on the drop down menu. When I tried to reload the correct driver (v2.1.9, non-Intel), I get the message “You can not install this software on this volume. A newer version of the package is already installed.” The uninstall in the Arduino folder did not work for me. I kept getting the message “There is no default application specified to open the document 'uninstall'.” I don't know what that means. I located the driver software in the extensions file but was not able to drag it to the trash. So I went to Terminal and typed in the following: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver~/ I was finally able to trash the driver software. At least I thought so. It no longer appears in the extensions file. But when I try to reload the correct driver, I get the same message – A newer version of the package is already installed. I have trashed the entire Arduino folder and started from scratch, downloading the application from the website, with the same results. It seems the Intel-based driver software is still on the Mac but I can't find it. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?

You could just install the correct driver manually: - mount the "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_1_9.dmg" disk image that comes with Arduino-16 - right click on the "FTDIUSBSerialDriver.pkg" file in that disk and click "Show Package Contents" - double click on the "Archive.pax.gz" file in that package. This will extract "FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext". - Move "FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext" to "/System/Library/Extensions/" and restart.

There are uninstall directions at http://www.core.co.kr/down/Mac_OS_X_Installation_Guide.pdf , but they are pretty much what you have done...