demux 4051 as an 8-bit counter

Hey all,

I'm trying to use the the 4051 as a 8 bit counter, I know I could use a serial/paralel component to do what I want, but I neet to use the following table

arduino pins LED on
000 00000001
001 00000011
010 00000111
111 11111111

I tried to make a circuit with some diodes and tried to run it in proteus and it didn't work. Here's what I tried

Hey all,

I'm trying to use the the 4051 as a 8 bit counter, I know I could use a serial/paralel component to do what I want, but I neet to use the following table

arduino pins LED on
000 00000001
001 00000011
010 00000111
111 11111111

I tried to make a circuit with some diodes and tried to run it in proteus and it didn't work. Here's what I tried

http://postimg.org/image/8u9dn3je7/

So, I know that if I use transistors with the same config. it works, Could it be a bug? or maybe the output from 4051 is not enough to light more than one LED

PS.

I didn't place resistor out of lazyness...

I looked at the schematic diagram. It is designed to fail. Scrap it and design a better circuit. It is not a counter. Use an Arduino to light the linear indicator using transistors. The 4051 is not appropriate.

Yes, without series resistors for the diodes it cannot work, and at 5V you'd be lucky to get 3 or 4 LEDs to
function, too many diode voltage drops (schittky diodes would be better)

There are purpose-made bargraph LED driver chips that do this exact function, one of those would
be better perhaps.

People who put circuits like that on the net should be shot.

Ok, I realize the drop of each diode would screw me.

I thought of using 4017 with the so called persistence of vision. But LED's will be turned on 24/7,

if I keep turning them on/off severeal times a second, will my LEDs last long (At least 3 years)

thanks!

if I keep turning them on/off severeal times a second, will my LEDs last long (At least 3 years)

No.
This is why you always need a resistor with LEDs even if you turn them on and off:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/LEDs.html

I thought of using 4017 with the so called persistence of vision.

Multiplexing a single row of LEDs is perhaps even more undesirable as using an LED without a resistor. What is wrong with a simple shift register.

It really doesn't matter where the resistors are placed... The 4051 is not a counter it's an en/decoder and incapable on it's own of supplying more than 10 mA even @ 18 VDC... Besides they are apparently rich enough to replace damaged parts and apparently they know enough about it to disregard (more likely not read any) information on how to use the led's, chip or anything else for that matter