Density Sensor For a Coil of Metal

I am working on a project at work and I'm not sure if I can find the right components for it. I am looking for a density sensor that will read to see if there are any void within the metal as it uncoils and feeds into a machine. I am I looking for something that doesn't exist yet or is there a sensor for me?

There may be such a sensor, but the project probably would not benefit from using it with an Arduino.

I was planning on using the Arduino just as a prototype. For the real deal, I was thinking of a BeagleBone Black.

I would find the sensor before worrying about what will be used to interface with it.

keaton13:
I am working on a project at work and I’m not sure if I can find the right components for it. I am looking for a density sensor that will read to see if there are any void within the metal as it uncoils and feeds into a machine. I am I looking for something that doesn’t exist yet or is there a sensor for me?

Search for devices that scan welds in high pressure pipe lines that will be buried. Think oil and gas pipelines.

Paul

What kind of metal? How wide and thick is the metal? How fast is it moving? Does "void" mean holes that light would shine through? If so, what size of voids?

If the material you are testing can pass through a coil, a density change can be detected. Do an internet search on "arduino metal detector.'

Whatever you find won't be a density detector, density depends on mass and volume, neither of which is likely to be directly involved. Typical sensors use conductivity/eddy-currents, acoustic waves, x-rays, magnetic properties to look for voids.

I'm thinking X-ray or gamma ray. Those kinds of things will need a real budget.

MorganS:
I'm thinking X-ray or gamma ray. Those kinds of things will need a real budget.

Gamma ray sources are self contained and what is used to check for porosity in pipe welds. should work for the OP's project as well. Need a scanner on the other side to paint a picture of the metal and will work just like an x-ray in showing a darker spot where density is lower.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Gamma ray sources are self contained and what is used to check for porosity in pipe welds. should work for the OP's project as well. Need a scanner on the other side to paint a picture of the metal and will work just like an x-ray in showing a darker spot where density is lower.

Paul

This sounds like it would be the best option. Thank you for the help!

Please report back on your progress.

Paul