Depth Ultrasonic Water Transducer

Hello Guys.

I'm trying to understand how to read a depth ultrasonic transducer manufactured by Airmar Technologies.

I've the accoustic specifications and wiring diagram and as I'm a beginner (hopefully, not sure if I'm even that) I would like to know if someone can point me out in the right direction.

I understood that I need to send a pulse from the microcontroller to the transducer. The transducer will convert this electrical pulse into an accoustic signal, send it, wait for the echo, measure the time elapsed and send back a pulse to the microcontroller.

Is this correct?

Also, the transducer has 3 wires. 1 GND / 1 +5V / Shield.

What I understood is that I have to send a pulse and read back with PulseIn the pulse response. How should I connect the wires from the transducer to the arduino uno board? GND to a PWM pin?

Following is the wiring diagram and accoustic specs:

Wiring: http://www.dnsba.com/91-261-rev02a-b.pdf Accoustic specs: http://www.dnsba.com/50-200khz-A-Urethane-200khz.pdf

Thank you!

You're going to need some transmitter and receiver electronics. You will probably need someone with analog electronics to help design a 600 Watt 200 KHz pulse generator. Then you will need a bandpass filter to allow the received signal to be isolated and amplified.

John, is it possible to do that with Arduino Uno?

parturi: John, is it possible to do that with Arduino Uno?

Not without some external electronics. I expect you will need a significant amount of voltage and current to shove 600 Watts through your transducer. You can't just connect it to a 5V Arduino output. The return signal is likely to be quite weak so you will likely need amplification before connecting it to an Arduino input.

John, if I manage to send the 600 Watts pulse to the transducer, why the signal would return weak?

I'm searching for an op-amp, which looks like what I need to increase current.

Thanks for your patience :)

Big question is what are you trying to measure? This maybe over kill.

trancen: if I didn't understand wrong I should measure the time between the sent pulse and the return pulse.

The transducer is triggeres an accoustic signal and when the echo comes back it (the transducer) "replies?" with an electric pulse. So, measuring the time between the pulse sent and the received pulse I should get a relative water depth doing the proper calcs.

All this, if I didn't understand wrong the docs, which could be 100% true.

trancen: if I didn’t understand wrong I should measure the time between the sent pulse and the return pulse.

Yes, but for what purpose? What is that measurement supposed to correlate to?

It's supoused to give me the time (relative) the accoustic signal takes to come back from an object or land and to know how deep is the water. This transducer is always put down in boats.

Is that what you're asking me?

Is that what you're asking me?

The question was what are you trying to measure. The depth of the water was the correct answer.

Obviously, that takes a different kind of sensor (and amount of power) than the corresponding sensor used in air.

The question was what are you trying to measure. The depth of the water was the correct answer.

Yes. Sorry I don't have a good englihs.

The sensor I have is exclusively for water depth measurement.

I think there is some confusion here. Are you trying to find the depth of a well, a lake, a ocean, cup of water? There is no sense in using a transducer that you need 600W to measure 3 ft of water. If you provided alittle more information on the project that your working on, it would help us and possibly give you another solution that won't require a sensor thats overkill.

Sure, of course.

I have a small sailboat equiped with this transducer and my intention is at first, to be able to take readings from this transducer. The transducer is capable of reading 0.10 to 99 meters (I don't need to read more). So my intention is to take advantage of the full capabilities from the transducer.

Short Technical Data

50/200 kHz – A (200 kHz) Power rating: 600 W rms @ 2% duty cycle 44mm (1.75") PZT Active Area: 15.5cm2 Urethane Window

I published the full specs of the sensor here:

http://www.dnsba.com/50-200khz-A-Urethane-200khz.pdf

My intention is to send this reading to a display and maybe to a computer or make combinations to take readings of on travels and later do some offline processing.

I started with this because I sail on the "Rio de la plata" (this is in Argentina) and it's a very low depth river in some places, so having a device like this connected to my laptop, it could be useful to later make some depth charts and sail safely.

Hi,

i've the same project with transducer p66 airman to my phone.

My transducer as the same characteristics.

Have you progress in your project ?

Thank you !

Philippe