Design for switch to activate 2 seperate circuits

I recently took an interest in the interactive wearable design. I always wanted to try out one of Leah's lilypad projects, so I recently bought a spool of conductive thread and a couple boards.

I stitched up 2 shirts. Each shirt lights a row of LEDs on the sleeves when I click a button also embedded in each shirt.

However, now I want to do something a little different. Instead of controlling the lights by a button I only want the LEDS to light up when the shirts come in contact with each other. Any now I am stuck. I have no clue what type of switch/sensor to use/make.

I thought of using reed switches and magnets where the magnet on one shirt activates the reed switch on the other shirt. However, the reed switches will glitch cause of interference with the magnets on their own shirts.

For some reason I keep thinking capacitive switch but I have no clue why, especially since I have never created a capacitive switch before.

I am out of idea, any suggestions?

Some ideas to be getting along with.

However, the reed switches will glitch cause of interference with the magnets on their own shirts.

So keep the switch and magnet well apart, like one shirt magnet on the right side switch on the left and the other the other way round. However that doesn't help if you have more than two shirts.

You could fit the shirts with short range RFID tags allowing identification of the actual shirt but again you will need to separate your own reader from your own tag.

Then there is IR. A short range IR emitter and sensor maybe sending a simple pulse patten might work. When it is not sending it could listen and so would not interfere with itself. Most people have problems getting IR over long range so it's no problem restricting this to short range.

I cant really keep the transmitter and reciever on each shirt very far apart. Basicly I want the LEDS on the sleeve of one shirt to light up when they are very close to/ touching the sleeve of the other shirt.

If I was to use RFID, would the tag being close to the RFID reader really be that important? Since each RFID tag has a seperate ID, can’t I just ignore the ID that is on the same shirt and only do something when it reads the ID on the other shirt?