Designing gauges

I've tried to google this, but must be asking it wrong. I am trying to design an electric brewery. I was given an ST7565 138x64 display. I want to design some gauges for the display. I don't really care if they look like steam gauges or tape gauges, but don't know where to start for programming a gauge. Drawing the gauges and writing the code for it is where in lost. Can someone point me in the right direction for learning more about this?

There are many ways to display a gauge. One of the simplest is to just print #### across a line (how many it takes). If you want fancy gauges, use Visual basic. Maybe I over simplified the task. Can you elaborate?

[quote author=jack wp link=msg=2366092 date=1440197713] There are many ways to display a gauge. One of the simplest is to just print #### across a line (how many it takes). If you want fancy gauges, use Visual basic. Maybe I over simplified the task. Can you elaborate?

[/quote] I'm wanting to have a visual for set and actual temperature. Basically a thermometer that can have a bug for the set temperature.

Well, if you don't need it pretty, then use two lines with some character ===, or whatever, one for set, and the other for actual.

set ====================== 78 tmp ======================= 79

If you want it pretty, someone else may be able to help there.

[quote author=jack wp link=msg=2366113 date=1440198968] Well, if you don't need it pretty, then use two lines with some character ===, or whatever, one for set, and the other for actual.

set ====================== 78 tmp ======================= 79

If you want it pretty, someone else may be able to help there.

[/quote] Thanks. I accept simple just for getting it all to work, but if I ever get good at the programming side I wouldn't mind pretty down the road. For what it is I think function is more important. After all, it is just a visual indicator of how close it is to being ready at a glance.

Islandboy85: Basically a thermometer that can have a bug for the set temperature.

Around here, bugs are things we aim to get rid of.

What you may be dreaming of may be impractical on lower level systems like UNO but a Arduino DUE may have the required horsepower, refer to alternative section on this forum.

Keep reporting what you eventually achieve.

What do you want, just a thermometer?

Why are you using Arduino in the first place?

If you really want to use the display, there exists at least one software library for it. (I don't know how good the library is; I've never tried it.)

How much programming experience do you have? If you don't have any, then it might pay to start with a simpler project.

@ Islandboy85, It sounds like you are on the track that you wanted. If you have any other questions, we are all ears.