Desktop Pick and Place Machines

Hey guys!

I am conducting some research on pick and place (pnp) machines and thought I'd ask the best around. For those of you who don't know, a pnp machine is a manufacturing tool which can very rapidly and precisely pick up and place small surface mount electronics onto a circuit board, where they can be reflow soldered.

For fellow hobbyists/professionals such as yourselves, what are your thoughts on the concept of a desktop pick and place machine, designed for at home use?

What are your thoughts on current pick and place machines on the market such as NeoDen?

If you do own a pnp machine, which brand, and what are your thoughts so far? What kind of projects do you/would you use it for? If you would like one, what has stopped you from purchasing one? Are there certain requirements you are looking for before purchasing?

If you do not want one, why? Do you feel the value added by a pnp machine justifies the cost which can be anywhere from $2000-$6000?

All responses and opinions are welcome!

What is the goal of your research?

robtillaart: What is the goal of your research?

My goal is to obtain a better understanding of the potential for a pick and place machine in the consumer market. Generally pick and place machines were reserved for larger corporations operating with $30k+ equipment. Almost analogous to the way 3D printers were reserved for larger corporations.

By talking to people on forums such as this one, I would like to get insight from hobbyists/professionals who may have considered using tools (i.e. pick and place) to speed up their development process. Since consumer grade pick and place machines are relatively new and the DIY market is rapidly growing, what requirements do you need fulfilled by the pick and place machine to add value to your work, and ultimately would help this product gain traction.

I am working at a big company and I repair every day P&P machines from Siplace SX, X , and S Series.

From my experience:
This machines are very complex and it`s hard to maintenance them!

I wouldn`t buy one, because the spectrum of possible placeable elements would be to small for projects.

What will you do when one axis has a crash? how will you check that the elements are on position (tombstone effect)?

Decarboxylation:
Do you feel the value added by a pnp machine justifies the cost which can be anywhere from $2000-$6000?

NO

Maybe at $100.00

…R