Desktop Rover

Id like to make a desktop rover like a literal desktop rover, one that just kind of roams around my desk just roaming and shit. But I don't want to roam off my desk. So i have two questions:

1. Would the best way to make it not roam off be to put a distance sensor on the bottom and make the threshold so that if the distance is greater than the distance between the bottom and my desk, so that if the distance is greater it knows it is almost off the edge?

2. I have an old lith-ion battery from a kyocera cell phone, Would it be possible for me to use this as a battery source for the rover?

1. Would the best way to make it not roam off be to put a distance sensor on the bottom and make the threshold so that if the distance is greater than the distance between the bottom and my desk, so that if the distance is greater it knows it is almost off the edge?

That sounds good, but I would consider using two.

1. I have an old lith-ion battery from a kyocera cell phone, Would it be possible for me to use this as a battery source for the rover?

How would you charge it? Also, the battery you use will be dictated by the voltage your motors run on. My guess is that It would not work.

I was thinking I would take apart the phone and use the charging part from that? or is that not possible. since the 3.7v probably will have to more like 12 or 18 depending on the motors. I thought I could use a few in series?