Desolder Esp8266 with code already loaded onto it

Okay so I have become a really really big fan of the WeMos D1 Esp8266 (Here is the exact model I have purchased. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NodeMCU-Lua-ESP8266-ESP-12-WeMos-D1-Mini-WIFI-4MB-Development-Board-Module-USA-/222451740131?hash=item33cb282de3:g:jgoAAOSw4CFY1s22)

I really really like them because they are really easy to upload code on. Unlike when I purchase a Esp8266 by itself. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP8266-ESP-12E-Wireless-Remote-Serial-WiFi-Module-Transceiver-Board-AP-STA-/121951859776?hash=item1c64e5b440:g:6aQAAOSwGYVXCqTg)

But I have finally finished my project and everything is working great. I have all the code loaded onto the WeMos D1 Esp8266 and love the end result. But for this project size is a bit of a concern so I was curious can I desolder the Esp8266 from the WeMos D1 and then just supply the Esp8266 with power? Basically just using the WeMos D1 to upload code to the Esp8266?

Let me know if. Also if this is hard to understand please let me know I will try and reword the questions lol

Well. for once, it is not trivial to desolder such a big device without appropriate equipment (well, a cheap heat gun might do). Apart from that, you can ALMOST do that, you only need the appropriate 3 pull resistors. Overall, there is not so much to save. Are your space issues very tightly about height? Because else, you could rather fit components on the PCB under the board. If you want to add an FTDI header to be able to flash, you need more components. The D1 schematic is available, have a look.

I have hardly ever found the necessity to go for one of the bare Modules. Power supply is always kind of bulky (at those scales) anyway.

As an alternative, I would suggest to set up a flashing station for bare modules. You would place a similar circuitry as for the D1 there, and perhaps even an onboard FTDI. I have tried one once with pogo pins, but never really got it working, mechanically.

I tack-solder short (5cm) Dupond wires to the relevant castellations/pins of a bare ESP12 module. And then plug them into the breadboard with the resistors and reset/flash switches. This guide might help. I use an Uno (loaded with a blank sketch) to program the ESP. Leo..

The bare ESP-8266 modules don’t have voltage regulators and power supply capacitors sufficient to ensure reliable operation. The various breakout boards (WeMos, NodeMCU, etc) take care of this on the carrier board and mitigate much of the frustration of working with the bare ESP modules. That’s not to say one can’t build a project using a bare ESP module, but it does require careful attention to power supply design and layout.

You're likely to damage the module in the process; trying to remove stuff with castellated pads is a real pain.

Uploading code to an ESP8266 is pretty straightforward. Hold the right two pins in the right state, reset, talk over serial. If it's not working when you got the module without the rest of the WeMo, I would suspect that you're doing something wrong in the supporting circuitry around the module - and thus, that even if you had one loaded with the code you wanted, when you put it into your circuit, you'd find that it didn't run your code either.

The solution is to figure out what it is that you've been doing wrong in working with the module, and start doing it right instead, so you can buy and use a module, without having to use the WeMo board as a programmer. Or keep the module in the WeMo in place and accept the bulk associated with it.