Details of the "Troubleshooting Guide"

@Mellis, can you please explain this line: "The Arduino Uno and Mega 2560 use standard CDC drivers provided by the operating system to communicate with the ATmega8U2 on the board".

I just don't know what "standard CDC Drivers" are.. sorry.

I'm trying to read through that whole section and make sure I understand all of it.

BTW, maybe that section could be rearranged a bit and typos fixed. It's not clear what applies to which Arduino and sometimes to which operating system.

Thanks for making the Sticky; we have had a LOT of very similar posts...

I wondered about that too the other day. Also the online reference is full of ambiguous statements like... "Try tying the RX pin to ground with a 10K resistor (or connecting it to the TX pin)." Which could be misconstrued as "or connecting RX to the TX pin with a 10k resistor".

Another little gem is: "If you're using a USB board, make sure that the jumper (little plastic piece near the USB plug) is on the correct pins." My Arduino Uno USB board has no jumpers on it at all.

The troubleshooting pages are quite often a source of confusion rather than a sink of it (see what I did there? :D).

I tried to correct those issues. If you see other problems, let us know. The troubleshooting page has been slowly added to over time and doesn’t get much review and editing.

David, I'll try to get some time to work on cleaning some stuff up there. I need to make SURE I understand it first, though! And I'm way deep in a project for Educational material for Arduino and I've about 200+ hours to go. IF I can estimate stuff. Which I have a poor track record with.

Other Subject: Where's a good place to discuss Hardware Abstraction. Like your Sensors stuff and Alexander Brevig's HAL stuff??

Thanks for your many efforts for all of us here...

For the Incurable Curious : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_communications_device_class

David, IF I had time to work on the Guide, would I have to be blessed by Arduino, or should everything go thru you??

Terry: it depends. You might start by making more suggestions or writing up something small (and posting it somewhere). Depending on your interest and style, we'll figure out the best way to get improvements onto the site.

Hi David,

Well, I was mostly thinking about the troubleshooting page. I'll take a look at what it might be like if it could guide users along based on their board and operating system. I used to write some stuff like that when I was coordinating a bunch of PC users, once upon a time...

When I have something real, I'll get in touch. Thanks.