detect adhesive tape on floor

I'm searching a way so that my robot can detect large adhesive tape on the ground so it can turn away from it. I tried with a colour detecteur but the problem was that I has to go on a floor with a lot of coloured lines already (like a school gym) so it didn't work. Do you have any other ideas?

dzepedanovoa:
Do you have any ideas?

You should probably take more than just a couple of sentences and give us all the requirements. What robot? Controlled by what? On what floor? With what things on it? For how long? What does it actually need to do?

You'll find that vague questions get vague answers. If you really want help then take some time to thoughtfully and thoroughly explain what you need.

Delta_G:
You should probably take more than just a couple of sentences and give us all the requirements. What robot? Controlled by what? On what floor? With what things on it? For how long? What does it actually need to do?

You'll find that vague questions get vague answers. If you really want help then take some time to thoughtfully and thoroughly explain what you need.

I made a 4 wheeled robot with Arduino, 2 motors with a 9-DOF Accel/Mag/Gyro+Temp Breakout Board - LSM9DS0. It has to run on a synthetic floor. It has to go straight from a starting point for 12.5 meters and then it will have to turn to avoid an obstacle and then return on its trajectory. The object to avoid will be a square formed by adhesive tape on the floor.

You might be able to use an IR reflectance sensor instead of the color sensor if there is enough difference between the tape and the floor. Detecting tape lines is a very common thing for the line follower robot projects so likely there is a ton of information available on this topic.

dzepedanovoa:
The object to avoid will be a square formed by adhesive tape on the floor.

We can give you an answer that works for any type of tape on any type of floor?

There are plenty of examples of following black adhesive tape lines on a white floor with IR reflectance sensors.

Or you have some particular tape on some particular floor? See how details are important?

I’d google “ line following robot”

Delta_G:
We can give you an answer that works for any type of tape on any type of floor?

There are plenty of examples of following black adhesive tape lines on a white floor with IR reflectance sensors.

Or you have some particular tape on some particular floor? See how details are important?

It's dark grey tape on synthetic floor.

It's dark grey tape on synthetic floor.

How is that statement useful for this discussion? I am having trouble finding the color synthetic.

groundFungus:
How is that statement useful for this discussion? I am having trouble finding the color synthetic.

like the indoor basketball courts

Let's try this - what exactly distinguishes the "adhesive tape" from every other area of the floor? Is it a colour which is very different from the whole of the rest of the floor? Is it more reflective? Less reflective?

Unless you can define exactly how YOU can tell the tape from everything else then you have no chance of telling an Arduino how to detect it.

Steve

dzepedanovoa:
like the indoor basketball courts

What colour is a synthetic basketball court?
How mush contrast is there between it and the tape.
What "other" lines does the robot have to disregard and what colours are they?
Don't forget, you have every bit of info infront of you, we are blind, we are not with you.
Tom.... :slight_smile: