Detect blood in a room...

Hi, is there a sensor that can detect the presence of blood in a room? precisely, if a person cuts his veins and tries suicide, can I notice it?
Many thanks

Did Google give some hints?

Paul

No

grzmrc:
No

That should be hint enough.

Fill the room with seawater and add a shark.

Andym535:
Fill the room with seawater and add a shark.

Respect.

My nurse friends say blood (in large quantities) has a very distinctive smell. An electronic nose may be able to detect that smell, depending on factors such as room volume, blood volume, ventilation system particulars, room temperature, etc.

Here is a very interesting e-nose project that may give you some ideas.

This is not a project for an Arduino. You can’t use it in life critical situations .

“ oh sorry that bloke died, I found the software bug and fixed it ...it will be fine next time ..”

of course, but first I want to create a prototype to show

Since no sensor for "blood in a room" seems to be available already, you will need to invent one for your prototype.

It might be quite a bit easier and certainly more sensible to look for signs that a person is suicidal, which would also cover more possibilities for self-inflicted death.

There is no point in making a prototype ( assuming that were possible), getting people excited , then saying ..” but I can’t do it in a fail safe manner “.

grzmrc:
Hi, is there a sensor that can detect the presence of blood in a room? precisely, if a person cuts his veins and tries suicide, can I notice it?
Many thanks

A thermal camera would detect the drop in body temperature afterwards. Correct UV illumination and
a mist of lumerol could be used, not practical at all...

Why not explain more about the scenario, it sounds like xy-problem to me.

If the detector you propose is to react to molecules in the air the first thing you run into is that blood does not contain, as far as I know, volatile substances that quickly mix with the surrounding air (with the exeption of alcohol in some cases :smiley: ). So from a live saving perspective it seems useless, but if it is pure theoratical and time is not an issue (not intended for live saving) it might be possible, however I am no chemist and you first must find out which chemicals cause the distict odor. Only then you can start thinking about detecting them.

grzmrc:
precisely, if a person cuts his veins and tries suicide, can I notice it?

If there’s enough blood you may be able to detect it after a while (that “electronic nose” thing may come in play). I’m sure it’ll be hard to do, if reliably possible at all.

But that aside, what do you plan to do with the result of a detection of a large volume of blood present? Have your project send SMS to the undertaker and the cleaning company to come and take care of the mess? After all you don’t want it to be so sensitive it sends an alarm after you accidentally cut a finger or so.

grzmrc:
Many thanks

'
How would you detect the difference between a suicide attempt and a young female during her menstrual period?

Paul