Detect if object is within certain proximity

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to detect if a tagged object is within say 1 meter of an arduino. I've considered RFID reader/tags but need the tag to be passive so range becomes an issue unless using UHF which are expensive.

Is there a better option out there?

Thanks in advance!

Your idea is comming up almost regularly. If You would search this forum, using the magnifier symbol up to the right, You would find out, shortly expressed: Drop the idea. It is extremly diificult, most often impossible.

Thanks for your response. If the tag didn't need to be passive, what would be the lowest power option to achieve this? Such that the battery would last some time. Wifi, bluetooth, rfid?

The distance is the difficult factor. There is wifi, BT, IR, ultra sound.... They all suffer from the same, impossible to use due to the uncertainty of their distance.

I don't believe it but maybe other helpers can see something I can't se.

WillyHarding:
Thanks for your response. If the tag didn't need to be passive, what would be the lowest power option to achieve this? Such that the battery would last some time. Wifi, bluetooth, rfid?

Apart from perhaps Pozyx the other suggested methods cannot provide the resolution you need.

You would have trouble telling the difference between 1m and 10m with RF signal strength methods, even after calibraration.

This question comes up almost daily on here, if there was some cunning wizard and cheap way of doing this there would be gazillions of tutorials to be found on the Internet.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us the application that needs remote ID?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile: