Detect Smart Phones around me? (WIFI, BLE, BT)

Hi,

i would love to find out how many pp are around me. Normaly i think it must be possible by Bluetooth, BLE or WIFI but i do not know what really will work?

did anybody has an idea or is there a simular project that will help me to start?

thank you so much.

:slight_smile:

PS: I search fo a way where i can figure out some kond of MAC / UUID of a Mobil Phonebecause i need to know if i know the device or not.

People do not emit significant amounts of radiation in the WiFi and Bluetooth bands.
Try long wavelength IR.

AWOL:
People do not emit significant amounts of radiation in the WiFi and Bluetooth bands.
Try long wavelength IR.

thanks for your reply, well i know that i cant really detect ppl.... i only need to find the mobil devices arround an area. This is why i think about WiFi or Bluetooth

That would work for those that are either:

• in WiFi host mode (so look for available WiFi networks and filter out the ones you know to be fixed APs - easy),
  • have an active WiFi connection so you can sniff data (not sure if you can identify hosts on encrypted connections - can be done but definitely harder to accomplish),
  • with Bluetooth enabled and set to "discoverable" (which is usually only when the user wants to connect to another device),
  • possibly having an active Bluetooth connection you can sniff the traffic of (I don't know enough of Bluetooth to know if it's actually possible to identify devices by sniffing traffic in the air). Then you may also find the Bluetooth earpieces and other devices.
    Doesn't sound very reliable to me. Many devices will be missed (sitting idle in pockets); others are counted double or multiple times (WiFi + Bluetooth, maybe multiple connections of those even).

Also please correct the subject of your post, as your subject has not much relationship with what you really want to do.

I found this one and it is nearly that what i like to do with an Arduino, any idea what modules i need or if there is a libary i can use to start with?

thank you

Start with the module you linked to, and the source code for BT scanning that's on the page you linked to. That would get half the job done already.