Detecting household items by tagging with audible device

Hi, i need some advice for me design project. My idea is to tag house hold items (tv remote, car keys, etc.) with a miniature audible device, then sending a signal using iphone/ipad/android device to trigger the device to help detect it in the house hold. Later on i plan to add voice recognition as this app would be very beneficial to blind people. What is the scope of this project with 3 team members? I need advice on how to implement this on the hardware side (i.e. Ways to send a signal through iphone/ipad/android device to some sort of small audible device)?

How should the signal from the iphone get to the item? WIFI ? Bluetooth ? If so then cost, size and power would be serious obstacless.

And on a second note how do blind people handle an Iphone/pad/Android?

I believe iphones have accessibility features using voice recognition to allow blind people to use it. We are currently still brainstorming ideas. Because we need a large range, we would want to use wifi. Transmit a wifi signal to the device, decode it and set off the audio signal.

Oh of course voice recognition would be very cool.

Because we need a large range, we would want to use wifi. Transmit a wifi signal to the device

So, now you need to figure out how large a wifi receiver is, what the range is, how much one costs, how long the battery will last, etc.

car keys, etc.

would be very beneficial to blind people.

Yep. I can see how helping blind people find their car keys could be useful.