Detecting Position with a Standard IR Receiver?

Hello,

I am new to Ardunio, and just I would like to know if is it possible to determine the position of an IR signal through a standard IR receiver?

At this point, I am able to detect that I am sending a signal from a t.v remote, but I'm not sure how to approach mapping its location. Ideally, I would like to be able to produce an x and y coordinate, based on a set field of view.

Any help would be appreciated !

The best you will be able to do with this is simply an angle from a fixed direction. This can be done by rotating an IR detector with a narrow window to receive the signal.

To get x y coordinates you need to be able to measure the distance to the source and its angle.

Weedpharma

Just to clarify-

I would check the angle from the IR light back to the fixed IR Sensor, and assuming it was also a fixed distance, I would be able to produce x & y coordinates.

Why is the rotating necessary?

Also, if we forgo creating an x & y coordinate, and calibrate the field of view from the fixed IR Sensor, would rotating still be needed? ( Trying to avoid any moving parts.)

Perhaps it would be easier if I clarified the use:

I want to track a point with the IR sensor, and use it to substitute the mouse input via bluetooth. I want to recreate wii remote electronic whiteboard jonny lee made, but without the wii remote.

Sorry for the essay, and thanks for replying!

What sensor would you use to get an angle from a fixed receiver?

The rotation is necessary (unless you have a sensor as above) to get an angle from a fixed position. By driving a servo with a sensor behind a slot, it would move around until it receives a signal through the slot. The angle can then be calculated relative to the start position.

Weedpharma

I would recommend a parabolic reflector instead of a slot. This has been done to achieve low cast thermography. You can have to transmitters or two receivers with a known distance. That way you can calculate a 2d position. The camera from the wii remote is available a separate part complete with i2c interface.

colin_matthews:
I want to track a point with the IR sensor, and use it to substitute the mouse input via bluetooth. I want to recreate wii remote electronic whiteboard jonny lee made, but without the wii remote.

http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/
You can’t use a regular IR receiver because it is just a wide-angle sensor like an antenna. It can’t sense direction. You can get direction information by making it directional with a baffle and using motors to scan it around. To do it with no moving parts you will need some kind of IR-sensitive camera, much like the one on the end of a Wii Remote.

Camera? https://vimeo.com/44707148