Detecting water level when sump pump doest kick on?

Hi guys, I am a noob but I can practically do anything when I set out to do it. I am a machinist by trade who builds racing engines so I love to build and tinker. Here is my issue

I have a typical midwest usa sump pump pit in my crawl space, several times the float has stuck that triggers the sump pump and several times the finished basement has flooded. I am wanting to make a level detector that can send a text or email to me when the water level exceeds, this way I can go in the crawl and see whats going on.

Any recommendations on design and layout aside from the usual water level projects I see? I assume humidity and waterproof is one of the issues at hand.

Thanks for reading.

A machinist has to also be an engineer and a detective. Why did the float stick?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
A machinist has to also be an engineer and a detective. Why did the float stick?

Paul

Usually set and forget...lack of maintenance.

One could replace the float switch with probes and relay but as previous, requires operational check occasionally.
Already the simplest arrangement in place.

Don't see any Arduino here.....

bluejets:
Usually set and forget...lack of maintenance.

One could replace the float switch with probes and relay but as previous, requires operational check occasionally.
Already the simplest arrangement in place.

Don't see any Arduino here.....

Not knowing, I would suspect the same. If the OP wants to use an Arduino and other stuff to do what the old sump pump and controller do, then is maintenance was a problem then, it will be many more times the problem with an Arduio, etc.

Based on my experience, I would use one of the plastic float switches with a reed switch like I use on my irrigation storage tanks. Nothing to rust. Maybe spider webs would inhibit operation.

Paul

Buy a second pump!

Not totally cheap, but effective!

Hi..
Keep It Simple:

(1) You have a pump / system that works most of the time
(2) You need an effective ALARM if the water ever gets an inch or two above normal level.

An Arduino digital input set to INPUT_PULLUP will read '1' and it doesn't take much to pull it down. All you need is a non-mechanical water sensor. That can be an inch of wire stripped off the end of some lamp cord.

What I used on my washing machine (After, of course a bad flood) was a probe 1/32 of an inch from the floor. I took a .01 microfarad disc ceramic capacitor (A good noise filter on the end of some twsited pair wire). I broke the capacitor at about 1/4 of it's diameter, resulting in two very closely-spaced conductors on a ceramic insulator. Mounted on a block of wood, adjusted to ALMOST touch the floor. Tested with a little water.

Now that I think about that I need to add that to the Arduino Mega running my home automation system, about 20 feet from the clothes washer. I haven't had a flood in 10 years, which means I'm about due.

Use some loud alarm, maybe like These Things

Let us know what you finally do.

Make contacts out of something like a cloths pin and put something dissolvable, like an asperine or sugar cube, between the contacts so they will close when wet.

woody1a:
several times the float has stuck that triggers the sump pump and several times the finished basement has flooded.

Replace that with what Terry King suggested and you only flood when the pump quits. Add another for when the pump quits. If the pump don't run cause power is o-r-f then you'll need a battery too.