Develop on Arduino Uno then use chip

Hi, We have a system, where we need a micro to take 6 ports either high or low, depending on conditions. We also need it to have 3 ADC inputs. We also need it to have three digital input pins.

We wish to use an Arduino (Uno?) to develop the code. But when it comes to doing the PCB, we don’t want to mount the Arduino on the PCB. Instead We just want to put the Arduino’s micro on the PCB, along with the programming connector. Can we do this? Which is the best (cheapest) Arduino to do this with?

Also, we want to start writing the code for the Arduino now? Can we do this, and then buy the Arduino later? Is there like an emulator for the Arduino? So we can see if the code would work, before buying the Arduino?

Also, eventually we want wifi connectivity...can we do this with the Arduino Uno?

Though I have not use it very much the Wokwi simulator seems popular. Since the Uno and Nano use virtually the same chip, you can write and test code on the Uno that should work on a Nano.

1 Like

Hi,
Yes you can, but you can avoid all the extra work by putting headers on your PCB and plugging in the smaller Nano, ProMicro, or ProMini.
The mini needs a FTDI module to program it, but you can unplug the FTDI once you have it coded, and its easy to update code.

The pluggin approach will save hours of PCB time and debugging.
You PCB would be simpler too.

LKcvq
Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

1 Like

OMG

Are you going to do any foot work yourself ?

1 Like

Hi,
Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

What is your project "system"?

Thanks.. Tom.. :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

1 Like

The only Arduino, that I know of, that has a removable chip is the Uno. To use that chip in a custom board you need a pullup resistor for reset, a cap on reset for upload, 2 decoupling caps from the power pins to ground, a cap from Aref to ground, 2 caps for the crystal, a 16Mhz crystal and, probably, a socket. By the time that you have sourced and paid for all that you could have bought a Pro Mini. Just sayin'

Oh and software written for the Uno will work with a Pro Mini, too.

1 Like

Before you go too far in you project you should verify the devices you want to use are purchasable. Many folks have reported the chip only is in short/no supply.

1 Like

What you have described is possible and would also be a valuable learning experience.

To see a minimal configuration, google for “barebones Arduino”. Work out how you are going to power the device you build.

If you want the device to be 100% compatible with a Uno, you have to run it at 16MHz and around 5 volts. You have to use other clock options if you power at lower voltages. For battery operation, power saving becomes important and may affect the design.

You can use a Uno to load programs (sketches) onto the device. You can add an icsp header for loading a bootloader. You can add an ftdi header for loading sketches and using a serial console.

1 Like

Thanks,...you mean you can buy the chip on the Nano or Uno board, but you cant buy the chip buy itself (due to chip shortages)? I honestly think it would be cheaper to just put the chip on the pcb...the nano needs hand soldering as its thru hole.

My experience in coding is the microchip PIC range....i have written hundreds of short c and assembler programs.....as you know, you have to include all the correct library and header files, and set all the config bits......this doesnt seem necessary in Arduino?

It is worrying me though that the Arduino IDE only programs one micro? (or maybe a few).
Mind you, we will untimately need wifi connectivity, to transmit data...and this seems as if it will be easier with Arduino?

If you need WiFi the ESP8266 or the ESP32 development boards are very handy and once you add the plugins to the Arduino IDE those parts are programmable with the Arduino IDE.

Cost is not a factor, its device availably. My guess is there are many Arduino boards already made and in stock so they will be available until they run out.
Folks have been reporting shortages of the devices themselves. It also seems some are limited to certain packages.

Its actually quite a long list .................................

Why do you think the Arduino IDE only does one micro ?

In the IDE, if you go to the Tools menu and Boards you will see a list of the boards that the IDE works with "out of the box". You can install add ins to program many other boards by installing the "cores" for those boards. Look into the Tools menu, Boards and the Boards Manager for other cores for other boards like ESP8266, ESP32, the Tiny series (tiny85), the MiniCore core, and many more.

Hi,
Can I suggest you get a UNO, get some components and get down and dirty and experiment and code in the IDE.
Before trying to make rules for your project.

This is the IDE if you haven't already looked at it.

What is your project?
Why do you need to use the controller on the PCB and not plugged in?

It looks like we are doing ALL your research.
What school assignment is this and when is it due?

Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia: