Device Description under Device Manager (Windows)

We are currently looking at using an Arduino Mega 2560 for a project and we wanted it to show in the Windows Device Manager as something other than "Arduino Mega 2560 (COMx)". My search for a solution led me to this old thread: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73712.0.

When I looked at the Arduino drivers that I have installed I realized that thread was before the All-In-One Arduino driver.

So, my question is, is there a way to do the same thing with the All-In-One driver?

I tried modifying the "Arduino Mega 2560" string in the arduino.inf file but when I uninstalled and then reinstalled the driver, there was no change.

Did it not work because the solution above won't work with the new arduino.inf? Is arduino.inf the correct file to modify? Is there more I have to do to make it work? Would it have worked if it was a complete new install (i.e. Windows retained some knowledge and really didn't completely reinstall)?

Finally, if I am able to get this to work as I want, does anyone know if it will adversely affect the Arduino IDE or the vMicro plug-in for Visual Studio?

You want to change the name just on your computer?

You want to change the name that your customers will see?

[quote author=Coding Badly link=msg=3119712 date=1486419523] You want to change the name just on your computer?

You want to change the name that your customers will see?

[/quote]

I want to change the name that my customers see.

In which case this is the solution... https://www.google.com/search?q=purchase+usb+vendor+id

Why is that “the solution”? Why can I not just change the “name string” in the inf file?

Our current solution is to place an FTDI chip in the circuit and bypass the Arduino USB. Doing that we can change the customer facing name with an FTDI provided utility. That works but adds what seems to be unnecessary hardware as well as prevents debugging using the Arduino IDE or vMicro, through that port, which may or may not be a positive, depending on your point of view.

larrycook99: Our current solution is to place an FTDI chip in the circuit and bypass the Arduino USB.

Then why are you here instead of in contact with FTDI? It is their PID / VID that you are "borrowing". They (and USB-IF) are the ones who make the rules regarding their property. They even conveniently provide a document to get you started... https://www.google.com/search?q=ftdi+vid+pid+policy

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1486483154 link=msg=3120698] Then why are you here instead of in contact with FTDI? It is their PID / VID that you are "borrowing". They (and USB-IF) are the ones who make the rules regarding their property. They even conveniently provide a document to get you started... https://www.google.com/search?q=ftdi+vid+pid+policy

[/quote]

I am trying to eliminate the FTDI chip altogether and simplify, in my view, things.

I have seen several posts, including the one I referenced, about just changing the name string in the arduino.inf file. That seemed simple and innocuous and served my purposes. Unfortunately I was unable to affect that change with the All-In-One driver, though others had reported success. I was trying to find out how they succeeded or why I failed.

larrycook99: I am trying to eliminate the FTDI chip altogether.

At this point I have no idea what you want and I really do not have the patience to try to drag it out of you.

Good luck.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=msg=3120737 date=1486484561] At this point I have no idea what you want and I really do not have the patience to try to drag it out of you.

Good luck.

[/quote]

Honestly, I do not see what caused the loss of patience.

I re-read my original post and it seems quite clear, at least to me.

The legal/moral/whatever questions aside, I am simply trying to determine why what has worked for some, isn't working for me and this seemed the appropriate place given that this is where a number of the previous posts appeared.

I am driving an Arduino Mega2560 device from a Windows 7 PC. I want Windows device manager to show a name string other than "Arduino Mega 2560 (COMx)". This particular question has been asked several times in these forums but the answer that works for some did not work for me. I am trying to determine why.

I am simply seeking, what I had hoped was a simple answer. I had no intention of raising anyone's blood pressure.

I think you already have the lowest cost solution. With FTDI, you can get your own PID for free, but you'll need to use their VID.

Also, when you use your own PID, Windows installation of the drivers won't be as smooth ...

To make things go smoothly with your own PID/VID, you'll need to get out your wallet and might need to re-mortgage your home.

dlloyd: I think you already have the lowest cost solution. With FTDI, you can get your own PID for free, but you'll need to use their VID.

Also, when you use your own PID, Windows installation of the drivers won't be as smooth ...

To make things go smoothly with your own PID/VID, you'll need to get out your wallet and might need to re-mortgage your home.

I am fine with that answer, as it is not my money to begin with. My employer decided that they didn't want it to say "Arduino...". Personally, I am ok with it saying that. So, they added an FTDI chip. That however means that for me to debug things using vMicro or Arduino IDE, I have to circumvent the FTDI chip which means I am not really using what the customer will be using, which I prefer to avoid, if I can. That started me on this apparently Quixotic search.

I am, however, still curious as to why I cannot do what others have done. That just bugs me, plus does it imply that there is something amiss in my Windows system that might be a concern in the future either to me or my customers?