device details tab listed in windows device manager

I’ll assume the implication of the post’s title is understood by the majority of computer users. if not then well that solves itself click out of the post.

i want to know if anyone has come across or made a little program that imports device details for a selected device into a single text file, instead of having to copy and paste each damn tab content separately, for each and every device the comps CPU identifies.

Any posts requesting why i want this will be responded with “because im a lunatic” or “read OP handle again”

im going somewhere with it and thats it because i only learn when im curious and this is what has my fancy tonight.

attached is a copy of the kind of output text file i want if only partial advice/guidance can be given or its alot simpler than im making it, so you will recognize the terminology for the example, which is one of my bluetooth ports.

Thankyou in advance.

comno6devicedetails.txt (1.27 KB)

How is this an Arduino programming question?

Here, with source code, explanation of the code, etc:

in the sense that Arduino with a shield can be used to host a serial based device, and although i used a generic standard serial bluetooth, you could easily replace that with an arduino. would you like me to copy and paste all the tab content for my USBasp or an Uno board then.... will it pass the test then?
(im actually asking dont insert sarcasm)

Thanks Alx! much appreciated!

i do get this message as the attached screen shot shows in opening the device manager application but ill do some reading first.

prob1devicemanager.JPG

Try running as Administrator or compiling the source.

arduidiot:
in the sense that Arduino with a shield can be used to host a serial based device, and although i used a generic standard serial bluetooth, you could easily replace that with an arduino. would you like me to copy and paste all the tab content for my USBasp or an Uno board then.... will it pass the test then?
(im actually asking dont insert sarcasm)

You can, but it's not trivial.

One such example is what you can do when buy FTDI, PL2303, CP210x, CH340 chips: you can program their internal EEPROM to report a different USB device ID. These chip suppliers also provide drivers you can modify to suit the Device ID you programmed in your physical device and, obviously, device description.

Keep in mind this a 2-step approach: change the drivers and the physical device to match the same device ID.

In the case above, the USB ID is flashed to the USB-to-UART bridge's EEPROM. It can also be done via software, like the cases below:

You can have an Atmega8U2 (like the one that plays the role of USB-to-UART bridge on the Arduino UNO), 16U2, 16U4, 32U4, etc report any device ID you want, but you must have drivers to match them. It's not really that difficult.

Another case of Atmega chip that doesn't have built-in USB capabilites but end up playing this role is the Atmega8 on any USBasp device (but you already know that). I've never seen the source for for USBasp (is it open source?), but I bet the USB device ID is hard-coded in software, not firmware.

but I bet the USB device ID is hard-coded in software, not firmware.

you definately been more than helpful and answered another post i did a week or so ago about the programmers/USB2Serial devices being overwritten in (accidentally) programming their chips through AVR software. As for the USBasp it shows up but when windows's device manager ID's it, instead of being in the same device class as the other USB devices the manager for whatever reason decides to give it its own device class. however at this point, (being out of my depth as per usual :expressionless: ) i dont know why the generic device manager decides to do this for the USBasp or if its ICSP programmer devices in general.