Device signature #000000 on programming ATTiny using Arduino as ISP

Not the first time this is asked, but the solutions given in the posts reviewed do not help me. I am trying to upload a modified blink to the Tiny using an Arduino Uno. The IDE is 1.8.8 on Windows 10.

The only obvious error I see is the signature being #000000.

I have measured the cabling, used another Arduino and changed the Tiny.

I followed the tutorial on High-Low Tech – Arduino board as ATtiny programmer and High-Low Tech – Programming an ATtiny w/ Arduino 1.6 (or 1.0)

Error log attached. Also a picture of the setup.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards, Lucas Hofman

arduino-tiny-upload-error.txt (12.6 KB)

You need to connect a 0.1 uF capacitor between the VCC and GND pins on the ATtiny

Wiring looks correct other than the missing decoupling cap (IME, when that causes a problem, it gets further than that).

I would add the decoupling cap, then test continuity from the exposed part of the pin coming out of the tiny85 to the exposed part of the pin going into the '328p on the uno - breadboards are notorious for unreliable connections, which could easily be the cause of your problem.

This chip wasn't previously in use with a crystal was it? Or clock option that used a crystal selected and "burn bootloader" done? If so, the chip needs you to give it a crystal or clock signal in order for you to program it, including setting it not to use a crystal.