Devices and compatibility

Hello everyone.

I own an Arduino UNO board, and I'm planning to buy some sensors and actuators. My doubts are:

• ¿Is every sensor/actuator compatible with any kind of arduino board?
  • ¿Do I need extra power supply for them to work?
  • ¿Do I need expansion boards or protoboards to plug them?

Thanks!

A prototype board to attach to the Arduino can be handy, but you can use the Arduino and a breadboard to start with.

Most sensors need 5V or 3.3V. The Arduino Uno has both voltages (for sensors). Most Arduino boards have 5V and 3.3V but not all of them. They do all have analog inputs and I2C bus for sensors. The actuators probably require more current, so you might need a power supply for those.

The Arduino can be connected with many sensors and actuators. Nothing can beat the Arduino at that. But sure, there are many incompatible sensors and actuators. On top of the page is a bar, click on "Playground" to see what can be connected to the Arduino. Also take a look at the Adafruit and Sparkfun sites. They have a selection of components that can be used with the Arduino.

banderas20: Hello everyone.

I own an Arduino UNO board, and I'm planning to buy some sensors and actuators. My doubts are:

• ¿Is every sensor/actuator compatible with any kind of arduino board?

Every possible sensor? Probably not, but most can be made to work.

• ¿Do I need extra power supply for them to work?

Sensors generally don't require too much current so can be powered directly from the arduino board, but there are sure to be exceptions now and then.

• ¿Do I need expansion boards or protoboards to plug them?

I've found that the inexpensive Asian E-bay 'sensor shields' can be very helpful for connecting up sensors and some output devices, it gives you access to lots of extra ground and +5vdc power pins. Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180830609984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Lefty

Thanks!