Devices to Track Intermittent Movement and Bluetooth (Farm Use)

Howdy, I am new to the Arduino platform and overall new to electronics engineering – my background is purely in software engineering.

I have a project where I need to have some sort of device that can monitor linear movement of an object in a fixed container. Perhaps by the use of some type of magnetic sensor that can trigger when a star wheel (think gear cog) turns.

The controller needs to relay this, ideally via a Bluetooth connection, to an application I would develop.

The complete use scenario of this will be to track intermittent movement cycles (considered a stroke) in a linear path, and calculate the average strokes per minute, and the strokes per complete package.

For more details on specifics, this will be applied to a square hay baler and used to track “strokes” to build bales.

Do you have an image?

Exactly. The question is very much: How to keep track of something physical, what "sensor", or better: what sensing method will work.

You need to tell us more. Else You will be drowning in suggestions based on wild guesses. Your project is different and interesting, not another "how to press a button-project".

I believe some sort of magnetic sensor could work. I will try to get a picture of what I am thinking.

I am not entirely sure what the best method is, but, if we have a metal gear (cog wheel, star wheel) that has a known circumference and evenly spaced cogs, we could put a magnetic sensor in a static position with a nominal physical clearance away from the cogs -- this way as the wheel turns, we have intermittent measurable triggers from the sensor that directly correlate to revolutions, and ultimately distance.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Not knowing what the arrangement is really suposed to do it's hard to make any suggestions. You have an idea and maybe a lot of components already. If so, put that stuff in work and tell how it's showing up.

Railroader: Not knowing what the arrangement is really suposed to do it's hard to make any suggestions. You have an idea and maybe a lot of components already. If so, put that stuff in work and tell how it's showing up.

There are no current electronics -- this will be a new build. Power will be from 12VDC, also (just making note). Still need to research a bit more into the Arduino units and see what is a starting point -- just took to posting here in parallel, in case anyone has pointers or order considerations before I get too deep.

As long as You only tell about the components You intend to use and not what the construction is supposed to do I have no suggestions. My chrystall ball is out on vacation.

Having spent many days on the side of a hay bailer pushing wires through the groves in the wooden separator blocks, I can visualize what you are trying to do and why.

I an sure you can determine when a bale is being tied by the string tying/cutting mechanism, so your only real challenge is how to monitor the ram strokes. Search the forum for RPM measuring. Do they still have flywheels on today's bailers? There must be a dozen different ways.

Sounds like an interesting project. What condition is promoting the project?

Paul

"For more details on specifics, this will be applied to a square hay baler and used to track "strokes" to build bales."

Limit switches, break beam setups, optical detectors, and more, can monitor moving parts. Get an arduino and start experimenting, it takes very little in the way of parts to to get started.

travis88: Perhaps by the use of some type of magnetic sensor that can trigger when a star wheel (think gear cog) turns.

A starting point? inductive prox

Thanks for the input. I've found this sensor @ https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics/datasheets/hall_effect_sensors/littelfuse_hall_effect_sensors_55075_datasheet.pdf.pdf which seems promising.

I still need to research a bit into basic integrations with the Arduino, though. But, I should be able to just connect to an input and read voltage differences, right? Or are there other considerations in the circuitry that I should be mindful of?