DFPlayer MP3 Arduino - High Consumption

Hi everyone!

I am building a circuit to reproduce different track sounds (only recorded voice). To do that, I am using a DFPlayer mp3 (Venta de Dfpla<x>yer módulo de mini reproductor de mp3 para Arduino - Banggood España).

My problem is that this component consumes about 30 mA/h just from the very moment you connect it, and it goes up to 40-50 when the sound starts reproducing. Since i want to use button battery and not AAA, actually the first option of battery cannot last more than 10 minutes with this consumption, so:

Is there any way to decrease the consumption?

Thank you all in advance!
Javi

javimargar:
Hi everyone!

I am building a circuit to reproduce different track sounds (only recorded voice). To do that, I am using a DFPlayer mp3 (Venta de Dfpla<x>yer módulo de mini reproductor de mp3 para Arduino - Banggood España).

My problem is that this component consumes about 30 mA/h just from the very moment you connect it, and it goes up to 40-50 when the sound starts reproducing. Since i want to use button battery and not AAA, actually the first option of battery cannot last more than 10 minutes with this consumption, so:

It may consume 30mA, but certainly not 30mA/hour, that would be a rate of change of current.

Is there any way to decrease the consumption?

No. MP3 playback requires a DSP to run, and SDcards use a fair bit of power.

Thank you all in advance!
Javi

Thank you MarkT,

and would it be possible to get the same funcionatility and lower consumption without using the MP3 and the SDcard? The goal is build a children tales book with sounds, so maybe there is a another way I am missing..

I guess you have to find a large EEPROM or Flash chip with low power consumption and enough storage
for uncompressed audio in the amount required.

Probably worth checking the consumption of the SDcard you have, for reading, it may be low enough
(write and erase are the most power hungry operations).

So what are your storage requirements?

Without the DFplayer or something similar you can’t use MP3 files.

An Adafruit music maker shield might help.

However these sort of things normally go into sleep mode when not being used and you wake them up with a push button. Before putting the processor into sleep mode you can turn off the supply to your player and amplifier.